If you are a fan of citrus lemony desserts, you will fall in love with this tart. Crispy biscuit crust with a soft, creamy and tangy filling. Simply irresistible!
(8" tart pan, loose bottomed)
170g plain flour
30 icing sugar
90g salted butter (add a pinch of salt if using unsalted butter)
1 egg yolk + 2 to 3 tbsp water
150g mascarpone cheese
100g fine sugar
2 medium-sized eggs + 2 egg yolks
Juice and zest from 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp corn flour
1) Crust: Combine plain flour, icing sugar together. Using your finger tips, rub in the butter till it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in the egg yolk mixture to form a dough. Wrap the dough with clear plastic cling wrap and keep in the fridge for about 30 to 45 minutes to firm up.
2) Place the dough on a sheet of baking paper and cover the top with a piece of cling wrap. Roll out the dough to a thin disc (big enough to cover the tart pan) and carefully transfer the disc to the tart pan (The way I do is to slide a thin cookie sheet or metal sheet below the dough disc. Place the the tart pan (inverted) on the dough directly. Then flip it around. Fast and easy!).
3) Blind bake the dough in a preheated oven of 190C for about 10 minutes. Remove baking paper, weights etc and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, till the crust turns light golden brown. Remove the crust and adjust the oven temperature to 150C.
4) Fillings: While the crust is baking in the oven, beat the mascarpone cheese and sugar together till creamy. Add in the eggs, lemon juice & zest, vanilla extract. Beat to combine and add in the corn flour. The fillings looks a little watery, but it will set after baking.
5) Pour the filling into the baked crust and carefully transfer the tart back to the oven. Continue to bake for about 40 minutes till the filling set.
6) Remove from oven and cool completely before removing the tart from the tart pan. Dust with icing sugar.