Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Durian Chiffon (Cooked Dough Method)






Recently, I have been baking chiffon cakes using the cooked dough method.  I find this method more manageable and gives a higher success rate in achieving a nice and soft texture.  The cooked dough method is similar to traditional chiffon cake method, except that you first cooked the flour in warm melted butter/oil/milk, cool slightly before you fold in the whisked egg whites or meringue.



Black Sesame Chiffon and Pandan Chiffon, both using cooked dough method (pictures taken with mobile camera)

Usually, I do not add baking powder for chiffon cakes.  The air in the meringue is sufficient to yield a soft and silky smooth cake.  But for this durian chiffon cake, I added 1/4 tsp baking powder as I had 100g durian puree added to this cake.  






Recipe
(chiffon pan size: 21cm)

(A):
30g butter
20g corn oil
70g milk
1/4 tsp salt

(B) Sift together:
90g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

(C) Mix together:
4 yolks
100g durian puree (if durian flesh is too dry, add 1 to 2 tbsp milk)

(D):
5 egg whites
70g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar






Method:
1) Combine (A) together in a small sauce pot and bring it to gentle simmer.  Once it starts to simmer, remove the pot from heat and stir in (B).  

2) Pour (C) into step 1 and mix till combined.  Set aside the batter.

3) Whisk (D) till peak form.  Fold the meringue into the prepared batter (fold 1/3 portion of the meringue at a time).  Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon pan.

4) Bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 45 minutes (I placed at 2nd lowest rack position).




11 comments:

  1. 烫面真的很软哟
    这个口味我喜欢呢:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 是的。。超软的。不过,我还是比较喜欢pandan 和 orange. 榴莲我喜欢直接吃进肚里!

      Delete
  2. hi Fong, I never try baking chiffon cake with this method, I should try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alice, you should give this a try. Just an extra step to cook the flour, the rest is the same as normal chiffon cake.

      Delete
  3. 这个榴莲戚风蛋糕一定好吃的。很香吧!如果家里还有剩余的榴莲可以考虑做这个哦。谢谢分享。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 榴莲口味不錯,外头较少卖,乘現在是榴莲季节,就自己做來吃。

      Delete
  4. Look yummy. But I family don't like durian. Can I replace it to mango puree? And how about cake or top flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can use mango purée, but the amount of puree may not be 100g as mango tends to have more liquid, or you will need to adjust the other liquid, such as milk to balance. Better still, remove the milk and just use mango purée + juice. You can try with top flour, a finer flour than plain flour. I refer to keep my flour simple, so I just use plain flour instead of having so many different packets of flour. Or sometimes I replace a tbsp plain flour with corn flour.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much. Let me try out this weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello.. what if i am baking normal chiffon?? if i omit the durian do i need to add other ingredients??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you omit durian, you will need to replace with some other ingredients as it will affect the proportion. I can't remember the detailed recipe I used for making the pandan and sesame chiffon. But I have another recipe over here which may be useful for you: http://fong-kitchen-journal.blogspot.sg/2012/04/banana-chiffon-cake.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...