This is my second attempt with bunny steamed buns. I used the same dough recipe as I did previously over here.
The fillings for the steamed buns were actually leftovers for making some Chinese dumplings (饺子) for my dinner the previous night. I like my dumpling fillings with lots of vegetables. Over here, I have approximately 200g of chopped garlic chives (韭菜), 100g minced pork, a handful each of chopped water chestnut, finely minced dried prawns and chopped black fungus, a heaped tablespoon of minced ginger.
Seasonings include oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients and seasonings together and you will have the fillings as shown in the picture below. Do not use the fillings straight away. Keep the prepared fillings in the fridge for at least one hour. It firms up the fillings for easier wrapping and it is also tastier to eat.
So, with the leftover fillings, I made these steamed buns. Since today is Easter Sunday, I shaped these buns into a bunny shape, complete with carrot eyes :)
For quick reference of dough recipe:
(a): 1 tsp instant dry yeast + 1 tsp flour + 1 tsp sugar + 1 tbsp water (mix together, rest for 5 minutes)
(b): 125g plain flour + 125g Hong Kong flour + 30g fine sugar
(c): 145ml water (or 70ml milk + 75ml water)
(d): 1 tbsp cooking oil
1) Mix all ingredients together, except (d). Knead well. Slowly add in the cooking oil and knead to a smooth dough. Cover and rest the dough for approximately 30 minutes or till doubled in size.
2) Divide dough into 10 to 12 portions. Rest the dough again for 5 mins for easier rolling.
3) Flatten each dough into a round disc and wrap in the prepared fillings. Pinch the dough together to seal the fillings. Shape each bun into oval shape. Use a pair of scissor to make 2 cuts on top for the rabbit ears. Insert two small pieces of carrot for the eyes.
4) Place the bunny buns on steamed rack, lined with greaseproof paper. Place the buns inside a closed-door oven/microwave or covered wok. Rest the buns for another 30 minutes.
5) Steam the buns in a steamer or wok over high heat for 10 minutes. Switch off the fire and keep the cover on for another 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully lift up the cover and remove the steamed buns.