Saturday, February 23, 2013

My weekend Taco Lunch








Just went for a swim this morning while my little girl attends her weekly swimming lesson.  Lunch is a quick assemble of taco shells with lettuce, salsa and meat sauce.  I have prepared the meat sauce in advance and freeze them in small tubs.  It is really handy as you can use the meat sauce for pizza, bread or in this case, filling for taco shells.

The meat sauce is a short cut version.  I ordered BBQ pork ribs in a restaurant and had half a slab left for takeaway.  The serving was huge and I find the meat too tough.   My jaw had a good exercise after the meal.   Back home, I removed the meat and saved the bones for sauce.  By adding some chopped onions & garlics, chilli, canned baked beans, paprika and seasoning, I had a flavourful pot of beans and meat sauce.  So next time when you had leftover BBQ pork ribs, try this!






Here is my simple version of homemade salsa. 

Homemade Salsa
(serves 3)

5 to 6 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarter
Half a cucumber, remove seeds and cut into small cubes
1/2 cup corn kernels (I used this brand)
1/3 red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
Handful of chopped fresh herbs: mint leaves, coriander leaves
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 red chili, remove seeds and chopped, optional (I omit this)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Seasoning: Juice from half a lemon, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt/pepper to taste

Method:
Combine all the ingredients together and mix in the seasoning.  Mix well to combine.  It is best to keep it for an hour before serving, for the flavours to fully develop.


To assemble:
Heat up the taco shells in the oven (as instructed on package).  Fill the warm taco shells with lettuce, meat sauce and top with a generous serving of salsa. Other popular fillings include sour cream, guacamole and some shredded cheese.  



2 comments:

  1. hi Fong! Thatt's a clever, healthy and yummy way to clear the leftovers. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chef. The pork ribs were tasty, but just too tough. I hate to see them go to waste, and cooking the ribs with beans yields a few more delicious meals :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...