Friday, November 30, 2012

Salted Egg Pan Fried Tofu with Garlic Chives







Tofu is one ingredient that I always buy whenever I go to the market.  It is healthy, tasty and very versatile in cooking.  Just yesterday, I prepared steamed salmon belly and silken tofu with miso ginger sauce.  The salmon belly and tofu were so tasty that they just glide and melt away in my mouth (oops ... I did not take any pics though).    And a few days back, I had pan-fried tofu with shredded coconut sambal sauce.  I love tofu and will never get tired of eating it.

About this dish .... I bought two medium pieces of firm tofu (豆干) earlier in the day and was thinking of what to do with it when near dinner time.  Then, I remembered reading Wendy's Wok Messed Tofu, just a week earlier.  So, I started looking around my kitchen ... good, I still have one salted egg left.  And from my fridge, I have this fresh bunch of garlic chives that I bought for making stir fry bee hoon and dumplings.  I took out a red chili as well.  Good, I have all I need to prepare this tofu dish.  Very few basic ingredients, impromptu idea... and this is really how I like to cook ....随心所欲.  






Both salted egg yolk and garlic chives are strong flavour ingredients.  Hence, you do not need much seasoning, except to add a little soy sauce to taste.  Salted egg yolk also gives a shiny golden coat to this simple, yet tasty tofu dish.


Recipe

2 pieces firm tofu, cut into 8 pieces.
Some plain flour
1 egg, beaten
1 salted egg yolk, steamed with a few drops of sesame oil for 5 minutes
A small bunch of garlic chives (韭菜), cut into 1.5" length
4 to 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 red chili, chopped
Soy sauce to taste

Method:
1) Lightly dust the tofu pieces with plain flour and dip in beaten egg.  
2) Pan-fry the tofu in a lightly-oiled pan till both sides are golden brown.
3) Mash up the steamed salted egg yolk.  Heat up a wok over medium heat and add a little oil.  When the wok is hot, add in the chopped garlic, followed with the mashed salted egg yolk.  Stir to melt the salted egg yolk till it becomes very foamy.  Add in the pan fried tofu and add in a little water (the water helps to combine the ingredients and flavour together). Add the garlic chives and season with soy sauce.  Cover and let it cook for a while till the gravy dries up and absorb into the tofu pieces.
4) Add in the chopped red chili and dish up.








3 comments:

  1. I love this! It reminds me of one of those dishes we always order from tze char stalls.I'm sure the salted egg yolk a wonderful salty richness, yum yum yum. chanced upon your blog while looking ofr tofu ideas (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good, sounds even more better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...