My best ever chocolate butter cake. Chocolatey, very light and spongy. I simply love it!
(makes 8 inch pan)
200g cold unsalted butter
100g fine sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla/rum extract
30g cocoa powder + 1/4 cup hot water (mix into paste)
180g self-raising flour + 1/4 tsp baking soda (sift together)
4 egg whites
60g fine sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1) Cream butter, sugar and salt together till light and fluffy.
2) Add egg yolks, one at a time and cream together. Add in the vanilla/rum extract.
3) Add cocoa paste and mix well.
4) Add buttermilk and sifted flour,alternately to the butter mixture. Mix well and set aside.
5) In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar till stiff and fold in batches to the cake batter till well combined.
6) Pour into greased and lined baking pan. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for about 50 minutes. Test with a skewer.
7) Transfer and cool on a baking rack.