|Love the soft molten cream cheese filling|
I wanted to make some cranberry cream cheese buns again, as hubby and girl love them when I last made it. Hee..... I was simply too lazy to divide and round the dough into individual portions; not forgetting that the wrapping takes a fair bit of time too. Why not just make it as a loaf and slice after baking? And since I have not done plaited loaf for a long time, it will be fun making it ^_^
|Looks complicated, but this is really easy|
As you can see from the above picture, this plaited loaf is very easy to make. A few steps: Roll the bread dough into a long oval shape. Make small cuts at both sides. Place filling at the centre (leave top and bottom ends clean). Take turn to overlap left and right dough strips and pinch the ends to seal. You can have a variety of filling for your loaf: apple, raisins and cinnamon, blueberry cream cheese, curry chicken with potato etc.
|My girl called this "Caterpillar bread"|
(makes 1 or 2 loaves, depends on length of loaf)
250g bread flour
50g plain flour
5g instant dried yeast
50g fine sugar
40g salted butter
20g dried cranberries (cut into halves & soaked in a little orange liquor)
100g cream cheese
30g icing sugar
2 tbsp lemon curd (prepare in advance* and chill well)
20 dried cranberries (cut into small pieces & soaked in a little orange liquor)
1) Combine dough ingredients in a mixer, except for butter and cranberries. Knead till smooth. Add butter and cranberries and knead till you get a smooth and elastic dough. Cover and let the dough rest for about 40 minutes or till it doubled in size.
2) Meanwhile, prepare the filling by creaming the cream cheese and icing sugar till smooth. Beat in the lemon curd and cranberries. Chill the filling till ready for use.
3) Gently knead the dough and roll it to a long oval shape. Place filling and shape as shown above. Cover and let the dough rest again for another 40 minutes.
4) Apply egg wash on the surface and bake in preheated oven of 190C for about 12 minutes or till golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on rack.
* To prepare lemon curd
1) Combine the following in a stainless steel bowl and place over a pot of simmering water: 2 egg yolks, 120g fine sugar, juice & zest from 1 lemon.
2) Stir the mixture frequently till thickens (takes about 5 to 7 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in 20g unsalted butter. Stir till butter dissolves completely. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and keep chill in fridge.