Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pumpkin and Honey Citron Bread




Golden pumpkin bread rolls just out from the oven


I have a habit of cooking or baking with whatever that's available in the kitchen/fridge.  I enjoy the occasional "surprise"  in creating something which I did not plan for.  I still have half a bottle of Korean honey citron in the fridge, some leftover pumpkin seeds (a small pack that I bought for making mooncake) and half a pumpkin left in the fridge.  With these ingredients, I baked these pumpkin bread rolls for dinner and next day's breakfast.


Ready for second proofing


This bread roll recipe is not my usual sweet bun recipe.  I adapted the recipe from Carol's The Second Book of Baking for Beginners, 蜜薯乳酪面包.  I replaced mashed sweet potato with baked mashed pumpkin,  plain honey with honey citron and adjusted the quantity of ingredients used.  Adding mashed pumpkin makes the bread soft and slight chewy.


Recipe
(makes 8 to 10 bread rolls)

100g pumpkin, baked and mashed - weigh 100g
250g bread flour
50g plain flour or wholemeal flour
1 egg (55g)
5g instant dry yeast
80g cream cheese, room temperature
40g honey citron
1/8 tsp salt
1 and 1/2 tbsp olive oil
70ml water (may not need all the liquid, depends on water content in pumpkin)

Topping: Handful of pumpkin seeds

Method:
1) Cut pumpkin into large chunks, remove seeds.  Drizzle a little oil and a pinch of salt over the pumpkin.  Cover lightly with foil and bake in oven at 200C for about 60 minutes or till soft.  Remove, cool and mash the pumpkin.  Use 100g mashed pumpkin for the recipe.
[Note: I roasted more pumpkins than required in the recipe and store the rest.  Alternatively, can steam the pumpkin instead of baking.  But steaming will have more water in the mashed pumpkin]

2) Put all the ingredients in the mixer bowl and knead to a smooth and elastic dough (do not add all the water at one go.  Keep some and add a little if the dough is dry).  Cover and rest the dough till doubled in size (takes about 35 minutes, depending on day temperature).

3) Divide and round the dough into 8 portions (about 80g each).  Place the round buns on lined baking pans.  Brush each bun with a little water and press some pumpkin seeds on each bun.  Let the buns rest for another 30 to 40 minutes, till doubled in size (I keep the buns in closed-door oven or microwave).

4) Bake in preheated oven of 180C for about 15 minutes.


Soft and chewy texture








6 comments:

  1. These pumpkin breads look delicious and healthy. Love the beautiful colour too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann. I love the cheerful colour too

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great. How do you keep the pumpkin seeds on the surface without them falling off, especially when the dough is proofing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I brush the dough with a little water, then gently press the pumpkin seeds onto the dough and let them proof. They stay there nicely :)

      Delete
  4. May I know where you bought your Korean brand honey citron? I looked for it some time ago in Fairprice, Cold Storage & was not able to find it. I only found a very large jar of honey citron about l litre, yes that large at Cold Storage which was their housebrand label as it was too large for me. I only need a small to medium jar just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it at NTUC finest. Korean supermarkets should have it too

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...