This quiche tastes so good that I should have just omit the bacon. Each bite is bursting with flavour from the broccoli, olives, sun dried tomatoes, assorted grilled vegetables.... and the crumbly herb crust.
For the shortcrust pastry, depending on how big/how deep is your pie dish or quiche pan, you may have to adjust the amount of ingredients used. Over here, I'm using a big pan, about 9" to 10" round with 1.5" height.
220g plain flour, 120g unsalted butter
1 egg yolk + 3 to 4 tbsp water
1 tsp dried mixed herbs + 1/2 tsp salt
You can refer here and also check the pictures below for preparation steps.
I like to include a variety of vegetables in my quiche, the more colourful, the merrier!
1 cup broccoli, lightly blanched in salted water
Pineapple, bell pepper, Portobello mushroom
(- lightly toss with oil and a little salt, lightly grilled. Cool, then cut into bite-sized)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Some black pitted olives and sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
Spring onion, chopped
3 slices of bacon, diced
1 cup shredded cheese
Pinch of salt/pepper to taste
Custard: 4 eggs + 250ml milk + 200ml dairy cream
To prepare filling:
1) Heat up a little oil in a pan. Fry the bacon bits till fragrant, add the chopped garlic and onion and cook till onion turns translucent. Set aside.
2) Get ready all other vegetables (cut, blanched, grilled etc - see above)
3) Custard: Beat eggs, milk, cream together with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4) Partial bake the pastry crust, remove from oven and sprinkle some shredded cheese at the bottom of the crust. Add half the bacon and onion mixture from step 1. Add the rest of the prepared vegetables and top with the remaining bacon and onion mixture.
5) Pour the custard mixture over the filling, leaving about 1 cm gap around the edge (to prevent custard from overflowing while baking). Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top.
6) Bake in hot oven, 175C to 180C for approximately 40 minutes, till filling is set and top is golden brown.
If you have leftover custard and vegetables filling, you can prepare mini-version without the crust. Just pour into greased ramekins (or aluminium cups) and bake.