Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bread Baking Frenzy {5 Buns}




I have been in a bread baking frenzy recently, making bread every few other days.  Using my favorite sweet bun recipe, here are the buns that I have baked:




Apple & Raisins Buns

A little sweet and tangy.  I used Rose apple, golden syrup, a little lemon juice and just a pinch of cinnamon for the filling.  

hey.... caterpillars eating up my apples!


Ham & Spring Onion Buns

Ham and spring onion are such a perfect match.  How I love the contrasting colours of these buns ....


Just before baking ... 

....... and the lovely aroma of baked spring onion and the melted cheese!


Hot from the oven!


Potato Curry Buns

And since each sweet bun recipe yields 12 buns, I made some into potato curry buns.  For the curry buns, fry chopped onions till translucent, add curry powder/seasonings and fry till fragrant.  Add boiled potato (coarsely mashed) and cook till dried up.  If you prefer, you can also add canned tuna or shredded chicken to the potato mixture.  I just add a small piece of hard-boiled egg into each bun.  


That's how much regular-sized buns you get from just one portion of sweet bun recipe!  



Cranberry Cream Cheese Buns

Are these cream cheese buns still selling like hotcakes?  That day, I made only six buns to test out the cream cheese filling.  OMG .... These buns are really tasty!  It may look flatten, but the texture is soft (even on the next day) and the cream cheese filling is nice and smooth!


Caution:  These buns are highly addictive!

Cranberry Cream Cheese Filling
(makes 6 buns)

120g cream cheese
40g icing sugar
Zest from an orange
1 tbsp dried cranberries (soaked in a little orange liquor or orange juice, chopped
2 tbsp lemon curd* (chill)

Method:
Cream icing sugar and cream cheese together till smooth.  Add orange zest, chopped cranberries and lemon curd.  Mix well and place in fridge to firm up for easy handling.

Note: To achieve the "flattened look" of the buns, place a piece of baking paper over the buns after shaping (i.e. 2nd proofing), and place a light-weight baking pan over it.  Bake at preheated oven 190C for about 20 minutes (with baking paper/pan sitting on the buns).

[Recipe adapted from here]


*To make lemon curd:
1) Combine the following ingredients in a stainless steel bowl and set over a pot of simmering water:
2 egg yolks, 120g sugar, juice and zest of one lemon.

2) Keep stirring the mixture till it thickens (about 5 to 7 mins).  Remove from heat and stir in about 20g butter.  Stir for another 1 to 2 minutes (the lemon curd will thicken further).  Cover the surface with plastic wrap.  Keep in fridge.
(Note: You can use the leftover as a spread for scones, filling for cakes or add to butter cream)





Olive, Garlic, Ham & Cheese Buns

With chopped olives, sun-dried tomatoes, dried mixed herbs and olive oil added to the dough, the aroma from these baked buns is simply amazing!








7 comments:

  1. Looking through your post is as though I am inside a bakery shop :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fong, HHB's comment is exactly what I wanted to comment on your post. Who can say 'NO' to such lovely edible creations. Thanks for sharing. I was following HHB's posting and made some comments but I couldn't get them through after several attempts. Hope HHB knows I'm following her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks HHB and Kimmy!

    Kimmy: Did you manage to leave HHB your comments now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm felt relief and know the cause now. I was worried that I may have offended some blogger friends when commenting or they may have tried some of my recipes which didn't turn out well for them like what happens to HHB. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Fong, I will leave a comment with Kimmy. I think it got to do with the word verification....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That word verification thingy! I removed it already cos I also have problems looking at the words... so am I a robot??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.. Just wish to let you know that the lemon curd did make the cream cheese to remain smooth after baking. Just a note that the sour taste was a little too overpowering after putting 2tbs. Next time maybe I will reduce to 1tbs and reduce some sugar as well. Also thanks for the extra tips on making the bread flat. I have not seen others mentioned baking paper but the experiment was it came out just like the bakery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...