Here is another light and healthy steamed dish that I prepared recently. Other than the filling ingredients that you see in the picture below, you will need a few leaves of Chinese long cabbage. You can also use round cabbage to prepare this dish, but I prefer long cabbage as it is easier to wrap, the texture is softer and the taste is sweeter. You can use a variety of ingredients for the filling, such as fish paste or chicken (instead of pork), prawn, mushrooms, wood ears, water chestnut etc.
Chinese long cabbage - I used 8 leaves
Filling: Minced pork, crab leg meat, grated carrot, grated ginger, chopped spring onion
Oyster sauce, sesame oil, pepper, corn starch
1) Combine the filling ingredients and seasonings. Keep chill in fridge for about an hour.
2) Boil the cabbage leaves in hot water (add a pinch of salt and a little cooking oil) for about a minute to soften the cabbage. Remove the cabbage leaves and let them cool completely.
3) Divide the prepared filling for each cabbage leave. Wrap and roll up the filling to form little parcels.
4) Place the cabbage rolls on a steamed plate, sprinkle some grated carrot on top and steam on high for about 8 minutes.
5) Transfer the cabbage rolls onto serving plate. Drain the liquid/stock from the steamed plate to stockpot. Bring the stock to boil (add a little water/stock if necessary). Add a pinch of salt/seasoning. Thicken the stock with a little cornstarch solution. Lastly, pour in an beaten egg white and 1 tsp shallot oil.
6) Pour gravy over the cabbage rolls. Serve hot.