Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I'm back with ..... Apple and Rhubarb Tart




Apple & Rhubarb Tart - lovely combination of sweet and tangy


It has been almost a month since I last updated on Fong's Kitchen.  First, my computer was down.  Luckily, we have a habit of backing up our files, so most of my pictures were saved... maybe except for a few???  Then, Fong was down too... twice!!  Nevertheless, I still managed to log on to check what's serving in others' kitchens.  During my short absence, I was pleasantly surprised to see a few more followers to my little kitchen.  A big thank you to all friends/readers and a big welcome to the new guests to my kitchen.





Rhubarb is not common in Singapore, though you can find them in some supermarkets. Here is a picture of the fresh rhubarb that I have taken.  They look rather similar to celery, except the stem is red and it tastes tart.  There were large leaves growing from these rhubarb stems, but for convenience of storage, I have trimmed off the leaves.  


Bought these rhubarb during my Australia trip.


Preparation for this apple and rhubarb tart is the same as my earlier apple tart, except that I used rhubarb for this tart's topping.  For each slice of tart, you will get to enjoy a crispy biscuit base, fragrant almond cream, moist apple puree and finally a slight tangy rhubarb toppings.


Preparation work for my apple and rhubarb tart

I love to bake tart.  Little effort and it reaps wonderful results.  I usually prepare the base dough, rest and roll out a day in advance.  The apple puree is the easiest step to prepare, no blender needed.  Just peel and chop up the apples, cook over medium heat till soften for about 10 minutes and its done.  Almond cream is also prepared within another 5 to 10 minutes.  The bulk of the time is baking the tart in the oven.



These slices were for my neighbour.  Hi Mag, if you happen to read this :)












9 comments:

  1. This is a nice combo - apple and rhubarb. Its hard to find them here in malaysia, but i will look out for them and try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fong, Trust you're well.
    This is a beautiful and delicious tart that I love to try. May I know where did you get the rhubarb in S'pore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angel :)

    Esther: Its hard to get good rhubarb in Spore too. Maybe you could use raspberries or strawberries as a substitute.

    Ann: Thanks, Ann. I got these rhubarb during my Australia trip. Cold Storage, NTUC Finest sell them too, but they are rather thin and dried-out looking, quite unlike those big fat stalks that I saw in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 欢迎归队
    你真的好棒
    等你的作品:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fong! Welcome back, i am still reading your blog:) This tart looks absolutely amazing i loove the almond cream and apple apple puree! What a lovely gift:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I believe that there is always wonderful result in big
    or small effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fong,
    It's absolutely yummy delicious!
    Thank you for sharing this Apple and Rhubarb Tart!
    I am reading your blog at this moment...

    Hope that u bake more goodies...
    We love them:-)

    Your neighbour
    Mag

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...