Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Asian-Style Ratatouille






Cooking is really about playing a mix and match game.  Last year, I paired eggplant and zucchini in a baked rice dish.  The vegetables were first grilled, then placed over a bed of rice, covered with cheese and tomato sauce, before baking till piping hot.  Now, exactly one year later, I have another idea to cook eggplant and zucchini.  

I give a two thumbs up for this dish.  One to Wendy, for introducing me to this colourful vegetable dish.  I did not watch the cartoon, Ratatouille and never knew that it is also the name of a vegetable stew.  One thing for sure, I'm having trouble pronouncing and spelling this word!  All I remember: there was a colourful "rata....." dish on Wendy's blog.  

Another thumbs up to Sonia, our Nasi Lemak Lover, for giving me the idea to add an Asian twist to this traditional French cuisine.  With just eggplant and sweet soy sauce, she created an amazingly delicious dish.  Simple and nice.  And so, with borrowed ideas from two of my favorite food bloggers, here is my grilled eggplant and zucchini with kicap manis, or Asian-style Ratatouille.




My hubby, who is not really fond of eating eggplant and zucchini, commented that this is very delicious.  He loves how the crispy Sakura shrimps, the sweet soy sauce and the grilled vegetables come together to give that aromatic flavourful bite.


Ingredients:
1 yellow zucchini
1 green zucchini
1 eggplant
(Note: try to get similar size and length for the above vegetables)

Sakura shrimps, fried till light brown and crispy
Chopped spring onion, chilies
Fried shallots, plus a little shallot oil
Sweet soy sauce (kicap manis)

Cooking oil, salt

Method:
1) Cut all vegetables to thin round disc.  Soak the eggplants in salt water for a few minutes.  Drain, then toss the eggplants with a little cooking oil and a small pinch of salt.  Toss both the yellow and green zucchini with a little cooking oil and pinch of salt.

2) Heat a grilling pan on high heat.  Sear the vegetables on both sides to lock in the moisture (You can also pan fry the vegetables using a frying pan).  

3) Arrange the seared vegetables on a plate (I placed my ceramic plate on the hot cooking stove to keep the plate and vegetables warm).  

4) Garnish with chopped spring onion, chilies and fried shallots.  Drizzle sweet soy sauce (about 1 to 2 tbsp) and a little shallot oil over the vegetables.  







4 comments:

  1. thanks for the link.
    With sakura shrimps and all those crispy shallots,
    Very very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sound really delicious and good twist of traditional Ratatouille..I want to try this one day. Thanks for the shoutout anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you make Asian Style Ratatouille, so colorful and look so appetizing. Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i saw your national day cookies and i am very interested.
    http://fong-kitchen-journal.blogspot.sg/2011/07/happy-birthday-singapore.html

    I am a teacher working in NTUC MY FIRST SKOOL. I am asked by my principal to look for cookies for children in my childcare centre. I would like to ask if i could order a 100 pieces of the national day cookies from you? I notice that you dont do orders. But i really really like the cookies you made... please get back to me?
    my email is tayshu@myfirstskool.com.sg THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH.

    EUNICE

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...