Saturday, June 23, 2012

Peri Peri Chicken with Creamy Potato Bake





I have not been to any of the Nando's restaurants in Singapore, but I been to one in Melbourne recently.  There are so many Nando's restaurants in Melbourne city centre that I could not help but notice its presence.  Out of curiosity, I ordered a quarter chicken with chips and drink.  It was my first time trying the famous Peri Peri chicken.  The flame-grilled chicken was indeed delicious, though far too salty for me.  The chips were crispy outside and creamy inside, just as most chips served in Australia eateries.

So back from holiday, I decided to attempt this Peri Peri chicken.  The first step is to search for a recipe.  I read up many online recipes and come up with this trial and error version.

Marinating sauce:
4 to 5 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
Thumb-sized ginger
1 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
3 tbsp dried Peri Peri chili flakes mixed
2 tbsp meat seasoning (mixed spices)
1 tsp brown sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp soy sauce
Salt to taste

Put all the sauce ingredients in a food processor, add a little water and blend into a paste.  Add about 3 tbsp olive oil and blend to combine.


Preparing my first Peri Peri Chicken dinner


To prepare the chicken:

1) Butterfly a whole chicken or use 4 chicken thighs.
2) Rub the Peri Peri marinates on the whole chicken and leave in fridge overnight.
3) Heat up a grill pan till very hot, add a little oil.  Brown the chicken on both sides for a few minutes each.
4) Cut some vegetables (I used bell peppers, fennel and cherry tomatoes).  Toss them with a little olive oil and salt.  Place them on a baking tray.
5) Place the partial-cooked chicken on the bed of vegetables.  Brush some marinates on the chicken.
6) Bake in preheated oven of 200C for about 30 minutes or till cooked.


On another day, I made Peri Peri chicken wings.  I did not grill the wings on a pan first, but just cooked them directly in the oven using grill mode (fans on) at 200C for about 20 minutes, turning them half-way into cooking.  The chicken meat seems more moist using this method (or maybe cos higher fats in chicken wings?)  But I have not grilled a whole chicken, so not sure if it will turn out as moist as the chicken wings. 




I prepared a creamy potato, leek and ham bake as a side-dish.  

To prepare:
1) Boil whole potatoes in water for about 15 minutes.  Remove, cool and cut the potatoes into 1 cm-thick slices.  
2) For the sauce, I saute the leek and ham in a sauce pot, add half a can of Campbell's mushroom soup, some water and bring to boil.  Add about 3 to 4 tbsp light sour cream.  Add salt/pepper to taste.  
3) Add the sliced potatoes into the sauce and toss to cover all potatoes.
4) Pour content into a greased baking dish.  Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
5) Bake in preheated oven of 175C for about 25 minutes or till the top turns golden brown.





And this serving is for me :)






2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...