Thursday, June 28, 2012

Instant Chicken Pie with Leftover Baguette





I called this "Instant Pie" as you do not need any pastry dough or mashed potatoes as the crust.  Instead, this pie makes use of leftover bread.  When you cook regularly, you will bound to have leftovers.  Instead of throwing away the leftovers, store them properly in food containers and you can transform them into another dish.  


Leftover baguette as pie crust


I was reading Wendy's mouth-watering Baked 3 Layer Beef Pie where she used sandwich bread as the layered pie crust.  This reminds me of a cooking show that I watched several years back, where leftover bread were cut into cubes, soaked in egg/milk/cream and baked into either a sweet or savory dish for brunch.  I remember I wanted to try that for weekend breakfast.  But as usual, I forget about it totally!  




I had extra chicken pie filling from my earlier chicken and leek pie, where I stored in freezer.  So preparing this pie is a breeze.  If you do not have ready filling, try pairing canned tuna fish, chopped onion/bell peppers and sweet cream corn.  Mix them together with a little mayonnaise and dash of pepper.  Add a slice of cheese on top before adding the bread.

Instant Chicken Pie (serves 1)

Chicken pie filling
3 slices of leftover baguette, cut into cubes
1 egg
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup milk
Pinch of salt and pepper
Pinch of dried basil

Method:
1) Pour filling into a greased baking dish.
2) Mix the egg, cream, milk, salt, pepper, basil together.  Pour the egg mixture over the bread and let the bread fully absorb the liquid.
3) Place soaked bread on the filling and bake in preheated oven at 175C for about 20 minutes or till top is golden brown.





The inner part of the baked baguette taste somewhat like mashed potato while the top is crusty.  I would definitely be making this again when I have leftover baguette.  



3 comments:

  1. Love your version!
    Using french loaf as crust, I can imagine how crunchy it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really enjoy your recent entries on what to do with leftover chicken..will be using some of them as i'm roasting a whole chicken for 2 persons this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice chicken dish. Would you be happy to link it in to my Chicken Edition of Food on Friday? This is the link

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...