For the sponge
(makes two 6" cakes or one 8" cake)
(A) 4 eggs + 80g sugar + pinch of salt
(B) 100g plain flour, sifted
(C) 60g butter, melted + 40g milk + 1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Whisk (A) at high speed till stiff. When lift up the balloon whisk, the batter should cling on the whisk and only start to drip after a few seconds.
2) Fold in flour, follow by (C). Fold till batter is shiny.
3) Pour into greased and lined cake pan. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for about 40 to 45 minutes.
4) Remove cake from oven and cool on rack.
(for 6" cake)
300g whipping cream, cold from fridge
2 tbsp icing sugar
1.5 tsp gelatin + 2 tbsp water, dissolved and cool
Chopped strawberries, mango
Extra strawberries, mango for garnish
Apricot glazing gel
Simple syrup - dissolve 1 tsp sugar with 2 to 3 tbsp water
1) Whisk whipping cream and icing sugar till soft peak. Pour in melted gelatin and continue to whisk till firm.
2) Slice cake into 3 layers.
3) Place a slice of cake onto cake board and brush with syrup. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream on the cake, top with some chopped fruits and cover with more whipped cream. Repeat steps with second slice of cake. Stack the third slice of cake and brush with syrup.
4) Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of cream (crumb coat). Keep in fridge/freezer for 10 minutes. Remove and cover the whole cake with remaining whipped cream (reserved some for garnish).
5) Decorate the cake with strawberries and mango.
I run out of whipping cream and had whisked only about 200g whipping cream. It was not enough to cover the whole cake. Hence, this cake was covered with topping cream (or non-dairy cream) instead.
|An early Mother's Day gift ...|
An early Mother's Day present for me..... additions to Fong's Kitchen: new oven and base cabinets from IKEA.