This is a simple yet delightful treat to prepare for your mum.
Making the Waffle
(makes about 10 waffles)
(A) 1 egg + 30g sugar + pinch of salt
(B) 60g salted butter, melted
(C) 2 tsp vanilla extract + 240ml milk
(D) 180g plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder, sifted
(E) 1 tsp instant dried yeast + 1/2 tsp sugar + 1 tsp plain flour + 2 tbsp water (set aside for 5 minutes).
1) Beat (A) together till frothy (I manually beat with a balloon whisk for a few minutes).
2) Stir in melted butter.
3) Alternate mix in (C) and (D), stir till no visible lumps.
4) Stir in (E).
5) Cover and set aside. Batter is ready to use when it turns thick and foamy (note).
6) Prepare waffle as per instruction of your waffle maker.
a) I kept the batter in the fridge for a few hours before making. Remove from fridge, rest in room temperature, then use.
b) The waffle can be prepared in advance and keep in fridge/or freezer for later use.
Making the Sandwiched Cream Filling
200ml dairy whipping cream, cold from fridge
2 tbsp icing sugar
2 tsp gelatin + 2 tbsp water, dissolved
3 to 4 tbsp strawberry puree* (or 2 tbsp strawberry jam)
1 tsp rum extract
Few strawberries, cut into small pieces
Small piece of mango, cut into small pieces
1) Whisk whipping cream and icing sugar till soft peak. Add in the melted gelatin and continue to whisk till firm.
2) Add strawberry puree, rum, chopped strawberries and mango. Mix well.
3) Spread cream filling generously over a slice of waffle and cover with another waffle.
4) Place in fridge to set the filling.
5) Cut each waffle into triangular shapes and serve chill.
* To make the strawberry puree
In a small pot, combine some chopped strawberries and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cook till soft. Add sugar to taste. Mash with a fork.
1) Add a teaspoon of chocolate paste into the batter for chocolate-flavoured waffle and pair with strawberry cream, Oreo cream or Nutella cream filling etc.
2) Replace 10g plain flour with green tea powder (baking type) in the waffle batter for green tea-flavoured waffle and pair with green tea cream or black sesame cream filling etc.