Friday, April 20, 2012

Braised Fish in Soy Sauce








Each time I see the advertisements on Happycall Pan ("HCP") or posting of mouth-watering dishes prepared from Happycall Pan by Facebook pals, honestly .... I felt so tempted to get one HCP for myself.  After all, I cook everyday, so the pan should be well-utilised.  But no... till now I have not bought one yet!    

I have one wok, one grilled pan, one frying pan and several pots of various sizes.  The most-utilised is my wok, where I do all the stir-fry, deep-fried, shallow-fried, braised, and even steaming in it.  From what I gather, the HCP is great for frying or grilling fish/meat with no grease, smoke, smell and you get the perfect moist fried fish (credits to the sealed-in silicon strip).  But, it is not the ideal piece of cooking utensil if you are looking for "wok-hei" in your cooking.  And since my cooking involves steaming, boiling, stir-frying most of the time, I reckon that I will not be needing a HCP afterall [read: I do not "need" one, but if FOC, of course I dun mind lah ;p]  So when I prepared this braised fish in soy sauce, I had to bear with the oil splatter (I protect myself with the IKEA splatter screen) and the grease.  I do not mind the cooking smell though cos what's cooking without these aroma??  

Ingredients:

Fish - any kind (I used yellow-tail snapper)
Small piece of ginger, thinly sliced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cloves of shallots, minced
Spring onion, chilies (garnish)

Seasoning sauce -  Mix together:
1.5 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
A little water



To prepare this dish: rub a small pinch of salt on the fish before frying.  I'm using the wok, so heat up over moderately high heat.  When the wok is hot, add a little oil and carefully place the fish into the wok (and I immediately cover the wok with the splatter screen.  The splattering will just be the initial moments when you put in the fish, after that you can remove the screen).  For frying fish, do not be tempted to turn or move the fish for the first minutes.  Let the fish fry for a while till the side turns light golden brown, then carefully use the spatula to flip the fish over to the other side.  

Dish the fish out and set aside.  Now, heat the wok till very hot.  Add a little more oil and add in the shallots, followed by ginger and garlic.  Fry these condiments till fragrant and add a dash of cooking wine from the sides of the wok.  Immediately add in the seasoning sauce and place the fried fish back into the wok (lower to moderate heat).  By now, your kitchen will be filled with the wonderful aroma of ginger, garlic, wine and soy sauce.  Let the fish and the sauce simmer for another minute or two, till the sauce thickens a little.  In between, taste-check to see if you need to add a little more soy sauce or mirin.

Garnish with spring onion, sliced chili and serve hot.










2 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds so elegant and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get one Ikea splatter screen. Thanks for the tip. I always stand far away from the wok when i fry fish, hehehe..My kids prefer fried fish than steamed fish, no choice..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...