Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Banana Chiffon Cake








Whenever I bake a chiffon cake, I will be very nervous.  This is one cake that I can never tell whether it will be a successful bake or not till I remove the cake from the tube pan.  I had too many failed attempts with chiffon - either too wet, cracked on top, partial wet, traces of egg whites not properly fold, cake deflates too much after baking, not springy enough ... and even had the whole cake dropped out when turned over (no greasing at all!).  So, I will bake a chiffon cake when there is no one at home (to disturb me) and that I have ample time on hand (I don't like to rush).  




Today, I am so delighted to present my Banana Chiffon Cake - soft & light, spring back when pressed, correct moisture level, no cracks, nicely brown and very tasty.  My perfect chiffon cake!  




Ingredients:
(makes one 21cm tube pan)

(A):
5 egg yolks
50g sugar
A pinch of salt
100g mashed banana
60g corn oil
80g plain flour + 30g corn flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder (sift together)
1 tsp banana essence (optional)

(B):
4 egg whites
50g sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar

Method:
1) Beat egg yolks, sugar and salt at high speed till sugar dissolves.
2) Add mashed banana, corn oil and mix well.
3) Add in the flour mixture, banana essence and mix well.  The batter looks similar to muffin batter.  Set aside.
4) Whisk egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar till stiff peak (Note 1).
5) Add about 1/4 of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
6) Pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining meringue and fold well with your hand or spatula till batter is smooth.
7) Pour into an ungreased chiffon tube pan, bake in preheated oven of 175C for about 45 minutes, at the lowest rack (I need to cover the top with foil after 15 minutes to prevent the top from burning).

Note 1:
In the past, I usually whisked the egg whites to soft peak, as I find it very difficult to properly fold the stiff meringue into the egg yolk mixture w/o deflating the precious air bubbles.  I often had bits of meringue still floating in the cake batter, but too afraid to continue folding for fear of collapsing more air bubbles.

Then, I learnt that the best spatula is actually our hand.  Folding the cake batter with our bare hand is the easiest and most effective method.  The meringue is easily folded into the batter w/o breaking the air bubbles. And of course, you clean your hand thoroughly before folding :) 









9 comments:

  1. banana chiffon好吃下
    最近作了
    还想再吃:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chiffon cake too. Also like you always very nervous when making this cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very curious to know how you use your hand to fold the batter? Is it the same method as using a spatula and should you open your hand or should ur fingers be together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine - as method as using a spatula, but our hand will be more sensitive as we are touching the batter directly. Hand will be like a scoop, going up down circular motion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya,Fong, I have baked a pandan chiffon cake, folllowing kitchen tigress's video demo, however, the cake collapsed, I don't know where goes wrong, my santan, my oven temperature, my egg whites, or my high ratio flour? sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had countless of collapsed chiffon too and even one that fell out the tin immediately when I turned the cake upside down to cool! Just keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and tall chiffon cake. Me too when it comes to chiffon cake but then when it turns out well it such a joy and satisfaction just looking at the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's great to heard from your succeed chiffon.
    i too had many failed attempts in making chiffon.
    it may look good from the outer part until cut it int pieces, it breaks heart.

    looking forward for your precious note in making successful chiffon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...