Fermented black beans (豆豉), paired with chopped garlic and chilies is a commonly used condiment in Cantonese cooking, such as for steamed spare ribs or braised spare ribs with bitter gourd. The salty and strong aroma from the fermented black beans gives the dish an interesting and rich flavour.
1 tube of silken tofu
3 to 4 big scallops, sliced horizontally (briefly marinate with a pinch of salt & corn flour, 1 tsp shallot oil)
Pinch of corn flour (for dusting)
1 tsp fermented black beans
1 tsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
2 to 3 garlic, finely chopped
Chopped chilies (optional)
1 tbsp shallot oil
Garnish: Spring onion, chopped
1) Prepare the sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients together. Microwave on high for about 45 seconds. Set aside.
2) Cut tofu tube into 7 or 8 round pieces.
3) Sprinkle a small pinch of corn flour over the tofu. Place a slice of marinated scallop on each tofu.
4) Pour sauce over tofu/scallop and steam on high for about 8 minutes.
5) Garnish with chopped spring onion and serve hot immediately.