I was watching 李梅仙老师的 “三鲜锅贴” over YouTube the other day. I enjoy watching Taiwan and Hong Kong cooking shows, as the chefs and hosts always have lots of interesting conversation while cooking. 李梅仙老师 cooking show is one of my favorite. She cooks effortlessly, free and easy style and offers many cooking/food preparation tips.
Recipe (adapted from 李梅仙 “三鲜锅贴”)
(makes about 12 pieces)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup warm water (may not use all)
Pinch of salt
250g minced pork
150g fish paste (or you can use minced prawn or chicken)
1 cup chopped spring onion (or you can use Chinese chives)
1 tbsp finely minced ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
Ground pepper to taste
1/2 tbsp plain flour + 3/4 cup water (flour solution)
1) Filling: Place all filling ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Add in seasoning and stir in one direction (with your hand or a pair of chopsticks) for about 2 to 3 minutes till all the ingredients bind together. Cover and chill in fridge for an hour before using.
2) Dough: Place flour and a pinch of salt in mixing bowl and gradually add in the warm water. Mix & knead briefly till you get a soft dough. Place dough in a lightly-oiled plastic bag and set aside for about 30 minutes.
3) Generously dust table-top with plain flour. Divide dough into 12 portions. Flatten each portion and roll into a thin round wrapper.
4) Fill each wrapper with about 1 heaped tbsp of prepared filling. Pinch the edge of the wrapper together to form a long rectangular shape dumpling, leaving both ends open.
5) Heat up a non-stick pan over medium heat and add about 2 tbsp oil. Place the dumplings in the pan, close to each other. Pour in the flour solution, cover the pan and cook the dumpling over medium-low heat for about 8 to 10 minutes.
6) When flour solution has almost dries up, drizzle 1 tsp sesame oil and sprinkle some chopped spring onion over the dumplings.
7) Continue to pan-fry the dumpling till the flour solution dries up. Carefully tilt the side of the dumplings to check if the bottom has turned golden brown.
8) Serve hot with chili sauce and black vinegar with thinly shredded ginger.