Monday, March 26, 2012

Beef Stew with Radish







I'm into cooking radish (白萝卜) quite often recently.  In the past, I only buy radish when I want to cook three-colour carrot soup or for making steamed radish cake.  Somehow, I dislike the mild bitter taste in the radish after cooking.  But hey... the recent batch of radish tastes so good and has no bitter taste at all!  Just last week, I prepared this beef stew with radish.  I kept the leftover beef stock in the freezer, and used it as a stock base to prepare more radish stew for another day.  And last night for dinner, I prepared pork knuckle, mushroom and radish stew.  The radish was so delicious, after soaking up the flavours from the pork knuckle and mushroom.

For this beef stew:
* Two basic ingredients: beef and carrots/radish (I used beef short ribs).  
* Spices: Ginger (few slices), few shallots (crushed with chopper), 1 star anise, 1 piece mandarin peel.
* Seasoning: Soy sauce, sukiyaki sauce (I happen to have at home, so use it.  Else, use oyster sauce plus a little sugar), cooking wine.

To prepare: 
1) Add oil into hot wok, stir fry ginger slices and crushed shallots.  
2) Add beef and stir fry till fragrant.  
3) Add soy sauce, cooking wine.  Stir well.
4) Add in carrot, sukiyaki sauce (or oyster sauce) and water (enough to cover plus some more).  Bring to boil and simmer on low heat till beef is almost tender (gently poke a piece of beef with a chopstick to test).   You can also check the taste and add more seasoning if needed.
5) Add radish and cook for another 30 minutes or till radish has softened.  Remove from heat, keep cover for another 30 minutes before serving.


I served the beef stew with noodles:





3 comments:

  1. Actually, I prefer the long thin ones, compared to the fat ones that is usually labeled as daikon.
    The thin ones are sweeter and has more flavour (and smell too)
    I wonder if the skinny ones are available there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be very yummy.

    I stew radish with roasted pork, taste great as well. U may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy: But the fat ones so cute ... hee. Recently, all the radish are "well-fed" type. Next time, shall take note of the skinny ones.

    Angel: Thanks for giving me another idea for cooking radish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...