To prepare: Marinate the fish with soy sauce and ground pepper for a few minutes. Add in 1/2 beaten egg and lightly dust the fish with some corn flour or plain flour. Set aside for 2 to 3 minutes.
Heat up some oil (for shallow frying) till moderately hot. Fry the fish till golden brown on both sides. Drain away excess oil and set aside.
For mango salsa - Mix together:
- One mango, shredded (unripe one is better, mine in the pic above is too ripe for this dish)
- Shredded carrots and cucumber
- Red chilies, sliced
- Spring onion, cut into 2" sections
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- lemon juice or lime juice (amount to use depends on how tangy is the mango and personal preferences)
- about 1 tbsp gula melaka (break into small pieces)
- fish sauce, pepper to taste
Prepare the mango salsa just before serving and pour over the fried fish.