Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Deep Fried Nam Yu Chicken Wings (南乳鸡翼)









Deep-fried prawn paste chicken wings (虾酱鸡) is a common menu item for most ju-chao stalls (煮炒档) in Singapore.  In comparison, deep fried nam yu chicken wings is not usually on the menu.  Prawn paste and nam yu (南乳) are both strong-smelling condiments.  But personally, I prefer nam yu, which is fantastic for preparing Vegetable Stew (南乳焖斋), braised pork  or beef.  

Here is a picture of the nam yu that I used:




Ingredients:

8 pieces of mid-joint chicken wings

Marinate:
3/4 piece of nam yu + 1 tbsp red sauce from the bottle (mashed)
2 tsp finely minced garlic
2 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
Dash of pepper

Just before frying:
1/2 egg
Some corn flour/potato flour (I used tempura flour as I happen to have an opened packet)

Method:
1) Marinate chicken wings for at least 3 hours.  Keep chill in fridge.

2) Add 1/2 beaten egg to the chicken wings and lightly dust with corn flour.  Shake off excess flour.  Leave aside for 5 minutes (Note: Do not fry the chicken wings immediately after coating with flour.  The rest time allows the flour to coat tightly on the wings and not fall off during frying in the oil.  

3) Meanwhile, heat up sufficient oil for deep-frying.  Fry the chicken wings in moderately hot oil, both sides till light golden brown.  Turn up the heat and fry the wings for another minute till golden brown.  Remove from hot oil and drain on kitchen paper.

4) Serve hot immediately.





6 comments:

  1. Fong, lunch our still 2 hours away, you already made me hungry .... I want it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :p...............
    U see la, I'm drooling so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fong,
    I tried your Nam Yu Chicken Wings recipe this week. Instead of deep frying the wings, I baked them. Turned out great! :) Will definitely make this dish again. Thank you for sharing.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace, you reminded me that I have not cooked this dish for ages! Hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it out for dinner tomorrow, using the air fryer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...