Monday, December 5, 2011

Congrats ... You've Survived Preschool!





Congratulations Class 2011


During my times, kindergarten means one to two years of preschool education at PAP foundation.  Life is simple and straight-forward.  Most of us are born at Kandang Kerbau Hospital (more commonly known as KK hospital), fed with S26 infant milk powder and attended PAP kindergarten.  I still remember my sky-blue uniform with a little mock red tie.  The proudest moment of my kindergarten must be when I graduated at the top of my cohort.  Oops... sorry mum, I was never first thereafter and so lucky not to be at the bottom last ^_^   Anyway, I survived my years of school education, never failed any examinations (so-called "no red marks" in my report book) and my mum did not have to meet my teachers or the Principal (last time, there was no "parent-teacher conference", meet teacher means you have done something wrong in school!).  

Now, my little gal has graduated from her preschool.  Compared to my time, hers would be considered a premium kindergarten.  Teachers are all well-trained, good facilities, all-rounded education with enrichment activities like phonics, han-yu-pin-yin, drama,  music, ballet classes etc.  As expected, my little gal loves her school and looks forward to school everyday.  Hopefully, she will be equally enthusiastic and motivated when she starts her primary school next year.  



Making of owl cupcakes and graduation cake


For her preschool farewell party, I prepared an owl graduation cake with little owl cupcakes for her teachers and friends.  I tried these little owl cupcakes previously over here.  This time, I used walnut butter cake as the cake base, covered the top with fondant and decorated with Oreo cookies, royal icing and M&M.  

While there are extra steps for making this walnut butter cake, it gives very soft and fragrant cake.  I will certainly bake this again, as a whole cake, for the coming Chinese New Year.


Recipe for Walnut Butter Cake
(makes 10" square cake)

(A):
8 egg yolks
100g demarara sugar*
50g molasses sugar*
* or replaced with 100g fine sugar

(B):
450g butter
200g demarara sugar (or use 150g fine sugar)
170g Nestle cream (I used 100g evaporated milk)
2 tsp rum flavour (or use vanilla or coffee flavour)
400g plain flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
200g walnut, toasted at 160C for 10 minutes & chopped
200g chocolate chips

(C):
8 egg whites
100g fine sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar


Method:
1) Whisk ingredients (A) for about 3 minutes till creamy with flowy consistency.  Set aside.

2) Cream butter and sugar at (B) till pale and fluffy (butter and sugar must be well-creamed at this stage, takes about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on mixer).   

3) Add in the egg yolk mixture from step 1, Nestle cream and rum flavour.  Cream for another 2 to 3 minutes to combine.

4) Add in the remaining ingredients at (B) and mix well to combine.  Set aside.

5) Whisk ingredients (C) till stiff.  Fold meringue into butter mixture from step 4 in a few batches till well-combined.  Pour batter into greased and lined baking pan.

6) Bake in preheated oven at 160C for about 50 to 55 minutes.  Test with skewer (reduced time for cupcakes, about 35 to 40 minutes).


[Recipe source: Richard Goh's baking class]



A triple-chocolate graduation cake


The main cake is a 10" triple-chocolate cake:  Chocolate-layered sponge, sandwiched with Nutella butter cream, frosted with plain butter cream and surrounded with Kit-Kat chocolate bars.  The owl and congrats message are made from marshmallow fondant.  

Congrats again to all my little friends.  Wishing each of you a smooth transition to Primary One and an enriching school life ahead!






3 comments:

  1. All the best to ur girl and all her friends.
    I too attended 2 years of kindergarden, but during my time, 1 year is still pretty much the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy. Yup, I attended 1 year of kindergarten, though 2 years should be the norm. I still remember I told myself cannot cry on the first day of school cos big girl already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the use of the wise owl here :) And kitkats to line the sides is a fantastic idea! My time, kindy is 3 years already - all the best to your girl next year, it'll definitely be the start of one of her most treasured memories :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...