Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Oxtail Stew








Preparation is similar to my earlier post over here, except that I have added more vegetables in this stew and about 3/4 cup canned tomato puree in the sauce (hence the orange colour in the stew).  As oxtail takes a long while to simmer, I stir-fry the ingredients in the wok, bring to boil, simmer for half an hour and then transfer the contents to an electric slow-cooker and leave it to cook till tender.  So, I started to prepare this dish before noon, transfer to slow-cooker and come home in the evening with a piping hot dish.

I have prepared more gravy for this dish as I'm having it with bread (french loaf).  I also intend to use the leftover gravy for another dish(es) (my way of stretching dollar, since oxtail is quite expensive and it takes so long to cook).  So, depending on how much gravy you like in your stew, you will need to adjust the amount of seasoning sauce accordingly.


Ingredients
Oxtail
2 to 3 stalks celery
2 stalks leek
2 to 3 carrots
1 onion
1 potato
5 to 6 slices ginger
[All vegetables cut into big chunks]

Seasoning sauce
1 to 2 pieces fermented red bean curd 
1 tbsp bean paste
3/4 cup canned tomato puree
Dash of cooking wine
Sugar to taste
Soy sauce (to add later if you find the sauce is not salty enough)



3 comments:

  1. I love it! I love to knibble on teh meat till tehre si nothing left.It iss so pleasing and soft and yummy":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dzoli: For me, I zoom in on the gravy.

    Wendy: No sweat... I use a slow-cooker ^_^. dun even have to check on cooking ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...