Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chicken Wine Soup








With the year end Northeast Monsoon season, the weather is getting very nice and cooling.  This is the time of the year where I think my electricity bill is at its lowest.  The wind is so strong that I need to shut most of my windows (else my house will be in a horrible mess), so there's no need to switch on fans or air-con.  

With the cool weather, this dish came to my mind.  Chicken wine soup is actually a confinement dish, but I have cut down on the amount of ginger, sesame oil and wine in this soup.

Ingredients:

2 chicken thighs, drums and wings (or any chicken parts that you prefer)
Small piece of wood fungus (木耳), soaked and shredded (I used cloud fungus - 云耳 instead)
3 slices ginger, shredded
1/4 cup rice wine (I used cognac)

Method:
1) Chop up the chicken to bite-sized pieces and briefly marinate with a pinch of salt and pepper.

2) Heat up a little oil and about 1/2 tbsp sesame oil in wok over moderate-high heat.  Stir fry the shredded ginger till fragrant, then add in the chicken.  Stir fry till fragrant, add in the wood fungus (or cloud fungus) and sufficient water (depends on how much soup you prefer and how thick you like the soup to be).

3) Bring the soup to boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Add salt to taste.

4) Pour in the rice wine and remove from heat immediately.  Serve with plain rice.





10 comments:

  1. Oh you used salt in this?
    I heard salt will make it bitter.
    but I dunno, cos I never cook this before

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderfully simple soup and tasty looking broth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tummy warming and satisfying dish! I remember I eat/drink quite a bit of this dish (cooked by my Mom) after giving births to my kids. It's sure is a nice way to stay warm in the winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is raining now at my place, look at your chicken wine soup, i wish i can have a bowl right now, look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy: Really? It din taste bitter though... I'll check with my mum and MIL.

    Rebecca: Thanks. exactly... this soup is easy to cook and taste so yummy with rice.

    Amy: OH yes... especially if you add alot of wine in the soup. My mum's version really warm up the body!

    Sonia: yup... soup is always a comfort food during chilling weather

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks soo savory and delicious...thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right Fong. This is the most comforting soup at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But then again, I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on the type of wine used. I use Shao Xing in cooking all the time with salt, but it's ok.
    But some people's chicken wine does taste bitter to be, maybe those made with homemade rice wine. My mom was wondering about why hers is bitter until one day someone told her not to put salt, then only it never become bitter. Cognac shouldn't be a problem, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this info, Wendy. I put so little wine in it, so I dun think it makes much difference. I like to try with different wine next time ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...