Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pulut Panggang (Glutinous Rice with Dried Shrimps)







This is one of those kueh kueh that I love to buy from Bengawan Solo.  It is called Lemper Udang at Bengawan Solo.  I like the mild-spicy shrimp filling wrapped within the soft glutinous rice, which is lightly-infused with the fragrance of the banana leaves.

Since I have some leftover dried shrimps filling from the earlier Cucur Badak, I used it as the filling for the glutinous rice.  I've included the recipe for preparing the filling, just in case if anyone is interested to prepare this at home.  But, do note that I have made some modification to the original recipe.  For instance, I have  added more water for steaming the glutinous rice.  The original recipe states only 50ml thick coconut milk, which is certainly not enough to cook the rice.  


Ingredients
(Source: Hot Favorites Kuehs & Pastries)

(A):
300g glutinous rice
50ml thick coconut milk  (I used about 350ml thin coconut milk)
1 tsp salt
2 pieces pandan leaves
16 pieces banana leaves (12 x 15cm)

(B):
150g dried shrimps
200g grated coconut
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp coriander seed powder
2 tsp pepper

(C):
1 piece lemongrass
20g turmeric
3 pieces candlenut
2 cloves garlic
5 cloves shallots


Method:
1) Rinse glutinous rice and soak in water for about 1 hour and drain well.  Steam glutinous rice for 20 minutes.  (I soaked the rice for about 5 hours or you can soak it overnight).

2) Mix coconut milk and salt together.  Slowly pour coconut milk onto glutinous rice.  Add pandan leaves and steam till cooked.  Set aside (Note:  The rice took about 40 minutes to cook.  After 30 minutes, check to see if rice is soft enough.  Sprinkle a little water over rice (if necessary) and let it steam for another 10 minutes till cooked).

3) Blend Ingredients C into paste.

4) Fry grated coconut in a dry wok till fragrant.  Set aside.  Heat 3 tbsp oil, and fry Ingredients C paste till fragrant.

5) Add pepper and coriander seed powder, mix well.  Add chopped dried shrimp, grated coconut , salt, sugar and 150ml water, fry till almost dry.  Divide filling into 16 equal portions.

6) Rinse banana leaves and heat over dry pan till soft  (I scald the leaves in a wok of hot water and set aside).

7) Spread 1 tbsp of cooked glutinous rice over the banana leaf, follow by filling, then press tight and roll it up to form a cylinder.  Use toothpicks to secure the ends.

8) Grease a pan.  Place wrapped glutinous rice on the pan, and grill over low heat till fragrant.


I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011), hosted by Small Small Baker.





10 comments:

  1. hi, waa so yummy! i havent had this in ages!!!of course, living in melbourne, we cant find these things unless we make it ourselves.thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! One kuih that I have to eat whenever I go back to Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love to buy this from Bengawan Solo quite often. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh... I see the reasoning behind the 50ml coconut milk.
    Like how the Thai does the mango rice or how turmeric rice is done, they are steamed without added water,through a net(not a bowl), moistened only by the vapour. This will give the rice a chewy chewy texture with visible individual grains.
    I did try soaking rice for 1 hour before, it is actually sufficient for steaming and I made pearl balls with it.
    Just my 2 cents

    ReplyDelete
  5. This must be very nice bite with fragrant rice;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iva/Ann: you're welcome

    Little corner: I'm sure you will sample more goodies when you go back.

    Wendy: probable. I steam on plate and spread e rice out as thinly possible. Another thing... I like my rice soft. Maybe next time I will use e rice cooker to cook the rice, easier and faster.

    Dzoli: indeed, nice and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This look so lovely. Just love the vibrant color green of the banana leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if I can prepare this dish in advance? Maybe fill it, wrap it up & keep in the fridge for 2 days before putting it on the bbq? Would appreciate the advice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not tried making these in advance for 2 days before grilling. Though both the rice & filling are cooked, the concern is the coconut milk in the rice. I guess if wrap today, keep in fridge for a day and grill the next day should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How many of the pulut panggang can you make from this recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...