Make this cake specially for my gal's teacher to congrats her for winning this year's Outstanding Childcare Teacher Award, organised by MCYS. This is the highest national award to honour and recognise the contributions and work of the outstanding childcare teachers. I am so delighted and proud of her achievements!
This is a coffee sponge cake with chocolate ganache & marshmallow creme fillings.
(for 7" cake)
3 egg yolks
35g brown sugar
30g ground almond
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp water
45g top flour, sifted
1 tbsp instant coffee powder (I used the 3-in-1 type)
1 tbsp corn oil
3 egg whites
35g caster sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
60g whipping cream
80g dark chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallow + 1 to 2 tbsp milk
100g whipping cream (whipped to stiff)
Coffee syrup: 50ml black coffee + 1 tbsp sugar
Handful of Mini marshmallows
1) Whisk egg yolks, brown sugar, ground almond, cinnamon, coffee powder and water till thick and creamy. Mix in sifted flour. Set aside.
2) Whisk egg whites, caster sugar and cream of tartar till stiff peak. Mix 1/3 of the egg white into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Pour in the corn oil, fold till well combined and the batter is shiny.
3) Pour batter into greased and lined baking pan and bake in a preheated oven of 170C for about 40 minutes.
4) Cool the cake completely and cut into 3 slices.
5) Heat up 80g of whipped cream on stove (or microwave oven). Stir the hot cream with the dark chocolate chips till all the chocolate melts.
6) Combine the marshmallow and milk in a microwavable bowl and set it on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir till marshmallow melts. Pour in half the chocolate ganache from step 5 and mix well. Set aside to let chocolate mixture cool.
7) Whisk 100g whipping cream till stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture at step 6.
8) To assemble the cake: Brush a slice of cake with coffee syrup and spread half the chocolate mixture over the cake. Repeat process with another slice of cake. Place the last slice of cake on top. Spread the sides with chocolate mixture and pour the reserved chocolate ganache (from step 5) over the top. Chill the cake in the fridge for an hour to set the cake slightly.
9) Decorate the cake with some marshmallow and chocolate shavings.