Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Braised Mushrooms with Sea Cucumber









This is one of my favorite dishes.  My mum will always prepare this dish on special occasions, such as the Lunar New Year period (without fail), mid-autumn festival, dongzhi festival or on our birthdays.  In the past, we do not get to eat this dish on normal days, as Chinese mushrooms and sea cucumbers are expensive stuffs.  Quality Chinese mushrooms from Japan are pricey, so I'd usually settle for the more affordable China mushrooms, which costs me about S$10 for 300g (I think it costs double or triple for the one from Japan?).  But,  nowadays, even the mushrooms from Japan does not taste the same as before.  Can't be help, since even the chicken and pork taste quite different from the past, included those labelled as "kampong chicken" or "kampong pork".  

I had prepared this dish in my earlier post over here.  Method is the same, except that this round, I replaced the chicken bones with pork front hock, which has more collagen and gives a richer and thicker gravy.  Also, this time round, I used a thicker type of sea cucumber which requires longer simmering time.  To save time and money, add in the sea cucumber (after brief stir-fry with a few slices of ginger) to the mushrooms in the last hour of simmering.  

As this dish always taste better the next day, prepare this dish one day in advance.  For me, that means preparation starts the night before, set to simmer in a slow-cooker, next day switch to high (or auto mode) and add the sea cucumber and simmer till the sea cucumber becomes soft.  




8 comments:

  1. I only cook sea cucumber during CNY, because is too expensive ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, to make it more value for money, I prepared for weekend dinner, more people means lower cost per head! Also, we dun buy the ready-cooked type, my MIL prepare from the dried sea cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am triedto picture thsi sea cucumber? Girl you always puzzle me:) Your dishes look so yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sea cucumber but also cook it during CNY or special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree, kampong chicken nowadays is soooo bland.
    Funny me, I don't eat sea cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dzoli: Sea cucumber does not look like cucumber, except for its long shape. It is soft after cooking. Tasteless on its own and hence need to be cooked in flavourful stock. High in protein, low in fats, and rich in collagen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, this is probably one of my favorite Chinese dishes! So delicious. :) I can definitely have another bowl of rice just for the sauce! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sea cucumber and unfortunately only me appreciate this dish in this household.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...