Friday, July 1, 2011

Steamed Pumpkin Cake (金瓜糕)








Once a while, I like to prepare steamed pumpkin cake, yam cake or radish cake for breakfast.  I just need a little bit of Chinese mushrooms, Chinese sausages, pumpkin/yam/radish, dried prawns and about 250g rice flour.  This will yields approximately one 21cm square cake, which is sufficient for a family of 5 to 6.  

Preparation is similar to here and here, except for some mashed pumpkin added to the rice flour mixture for the nice yellow colour.  Again, when preparing this steamed cake, I do not weigh the ingredients.  This is one of the reasons I love making this - no strict measurement of ingredients.  Sometimes, I find weighing and measuring ingredients kills the fun of cooking.  For this steamed pumpkin cake, I used about 4 to 5 mushrooms (chopped), 2 Chinese sausages (chopped), about 3 cups of chopped pumpkins (1/3 mashed up) and a handful of dried prawns.  I'm left with 260g of rice flour, so I used all of it (plus 1.5 tbsp corn flour) and mixed in 850ml water.





7 comments:

  1. I'm having my breakfast while reading this now.
    How I wish my piece of bread is a piece of this, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love steamed yam cake! this pumpkin ones look just as DELICIOUS! (: i want to eat :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. and add a dab of chili... our kind of comfort food ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this as well! my comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't make this cake for quite awhile.Yummy pumpkin cake..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I actually never heard of this before even though I love yam cake! And it looks equally delicious! Definitely gonna try this next time I think of making yam cake :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...