My initial plan was to stir fry these prawns with kailan. But, after making my pork floss swiss roll, I have some leftover pork floss and about 2 tablespoons of mayo spread. Hee.... that gave me an idea to prepare this pork floss mayo prawns. I added an extra squeeze of lemon juice to the leftover mayo spread, about one teaspoon of finely chopped garlic and a small dot of wasabi paste.
8 to 10 medium-sized prawns
A little egg white (this was also leftover from making the swiss roll ^_^)
2 to 3 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp custard powder (mix together)
Garlic mayo sauce: Mix together some mayonnaise, lemon juice, finely chopped garlic and wasabi paste
Marinate for prawns: Pinch of salt, 1 tsp cooking wine and a dash of pepper
Pork floss (mix with some roasted sesame seeds and shredded seaweed)
1) Deshell the prawns, devein, clean and make a cut at the back of the prawns.
2) Marinate the prawns with salt, cooking wine and pepper for a few minutes. Add in a little beaten egg whites (about 1 tbsp is enough). Coat the prawns with cornstarch/custard powder - shake off excess flour. Set it aside for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, heat up some oil for deep frying the prawns.
3) When the hot is moderately hot, deep fry the prawns till golden brown (about 1 to 2 minutes). Place the fried prawns on kitchen paper to drain off excess oil.
4) Toss the prawns and garlic mayo sauce together to lightly coat the prawns with a thin layer of mayo sauce.
5) Spread some pork floss on the serving plate. Serve the mayo prawns on top of the pork floss and garnish with some chopped spring onion. If you like it, you can also coat the mayo prawns with pork floss or sprinkle more pork floss on top.