Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mexico Buns




Mexico plain buns


Initially, I thought of making some steamed red bean spiral buns for breakfast, but I did not manage to buy any sweetened red beans.  I have no hot dogs or canned tuna at home either.  So, I started to flip through Alex Goh's The World of Bread "烘出面包香" recipes, and saw an easy recipe for making Mexico Topping.  Simple enough, I just need butter, sugar, one egg and some plain flour for the topping.


These buns remain soft the next day

Recipe
(makes around 15 buns)

Ingredients for Sweet Dough:
(A) Combine together in a mixer:
350g bread flour
70g castor sugar
Pinch of salt
8g instant yeast
1 tsp bread soft (or bread improver) - optional

(B) Mix together:
1 egg
130ml water
30ml evaporated milk

(C)
60g butter

Ingredients for Mexico Topping:
(from Alex Goh's recipe)

60g butter
50g sugar
Pinch of salt
1 egg
85g plain flour
(I added 1/2 tsp vanilla essence)

Method:
1) To make the sweet buns: Pour (B) gradually into (A) and knead for 10 minutes using a mixer.  Add in butter and continue to knead for around 5 minutes or till dough is smooth.  Cover and let the dough rest in the mixer for 45 minutes, or till doubled in size.

2) Gently knead the dough to punch out air.  Divide dough into 50g portions, shape them into balls and place them into small foil dishes.   Cover and let the dough balls rest for another 45 minutes, or till doubled in size (I prove them in a closed door oven).

3) Prepare the mexico topping:  Cream butter, sugar and salt till well blended.  Add in egg and cream till smooth.  Add the plain flour and mix till well combined.  Transfer mixture into piping bag.

4) Pipe the Mexico topping on the dough in a swirl mode.

5) Bake in preheated oven of 190C for around 12 to 15 minutes.


Notes:
1) The buns are very tasty even without any fillings in them.  They remain soft the next day.

2) I find the Mexico topping to be a little dry.  I like it smoother, so next time, I shall reduce the plain flour to 70g (or up the butter to 75g) and use icing sugar instead of caster sugar.

3) I love coffee-flavoured buns.  Shall add 1 tsp of instant coffee powder when preparing the toppings, and perhaps sprinkle a few chocolate chips or some almond flakes on top .


I will be submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #8 - Bread Seduction (June 2011) hosted by Jasmine of Sweetylicious

7 comments:

  1. I love your idea of adding coffee into the topping for a Roti-boy transformation. These breads are indeed very soft and fluffy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mexico buns, especially those with coffee flavour, like rotiboy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very lovely & soft buns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful buns. Sofe and nicely brown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so soft inside and crispy outside...nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone, thanks for reading and leaving me with your lovely comments. Really appreciate your kind words and visiting my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the bun look so soft and pretty! YUMMY! (: (:

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...