|Chunky vegetable soup with toast|
I have been preparing several one-dish meals since back from vacation. I tried fried rice with shrimp paste sauce, beef sukiyaki, claypot rice with minced pork and salted fish, and now this grilled zucchini vegetable soup with toast.
|Grilled zucchini adds a lovely aroma to the soup|
As this is a one-dish meal, I prefer to have it as a chunky soup instead of blending up the soup. I have also added some barley to thicken the soup.
2 stalks celery
2 big tomatoes
1 - 2 tbsp barley
1 zucchini (cut into long thin strips)
3 slices streaky bacon (cut into small bits)
2 - 3 cups stock (any stock will do)
1 tomato & some juice (from canned) - can use tomato puree instead
Few cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Chop up all the vegetables, except for zucchini.
2) Heat some oil in a pot and fry the streaky bacon bits till aromatic.
3) Add in the chopped onion and cook it till slightly translucent. Stir in the chopped celery and carrot. Cover and cook for a few minutes to soften the vegetables. Add the minced garlic, chopped tomatoes and mixed herbs. Cook to bring out the aroma. Stir in the stock, barley, canned tomato and juice. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, heat up a grilling pan. Rub some oil and salt onto the zucchini strips. Grill the zucchini on both sides in the grilling pan. Cool the zucchini, cut into small chunks and set aside.
5) Add chopped zucchini into soup and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.