Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chayote Black Eye Beans Soup







This is the first time I'm using Chayote (佛手瓜) in my soup and it is really tasty!  After cooking, it is soft and has a mildly sweet flavour.  Compared to old melon, 老黄瓜 (a very common and popular ingredient for soup), Chayote does not turn mushy after long simmering.  I will certainly include this as one of my favourite soup from now on.

Ingredients:
1 chayote (佛手瓜), peeled and cut into chunks
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 handful of black eye beans (眉豆)
5 to 6 red dates
1 small piece of ginger, smashed
Chicken bones (2 racks)*, removed skins and trimmed off fats

* I used the bones from one medium-sized chicken.  Cut and set aside the drums, thighs, wings and breast meat.  The remaining bones and legs for making soup

 Method:
1) Blanched the chicken bones in hot water.  Set aside.
2) Bring a pot of water (about 1.7 litre) to boil.  When water starts boiling, add in all the ingredients.  Bring it to boil again and reduce to low heat to simmer for an hour and a half.
3) Season with salt to taste.  Serve hot.


For a complete meal, I had blanched lady's fingers with sesame sauce, fried chicken and soy sauce anchovies.





Please refer here for more menu ideas.

4 comments:

  1. i also prefer chayote than old melon which sometime taste a bit sour. this soup look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old melon soup too (with dried oysters and pork ribs), just that sometimes the old melon has a bitter taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is yuumy looking bowl of soup. I can just it this rice and nothing else and be a happy girl:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi can I use pork ribs instead?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...