All your neighbours will know what you will be having for dinner tonight. The fragrant of the salted fish head when it is browning in the wok is simply irresistible! Cook it with pork belly, let it simmer on low heat till the fats melt into the gravy while the meat absorbs the rich flavour from the salted fish. This is an excellent dish to go with rice but certainly not a healthy dish with the high-salt and high-fat content from the salted fish and pork belly. But, you don't eat it everyday (maybe once or most twice a year?), keep other side dishes simple and healthy (like veggies and steamed dishes) and plan to cook this dish only when you are having a big family dinner, so everyone will just be taking two to three small pieces of that fatty stuff (accompanied with that yummy but sinful gravy ^_^).
1 salted fish head (咸鱼头)
600g pork belly (五花腩), cut into small pieces
10 pieces of tofu puffs (豆包, tau pok), soaked in hot water, squeezed dried
3 to 4 dried chilies (辣椒干), soaked in water, squeezed dried
7 to 8 slices of ginger
Dash of cooking wine
1 to 2 tsp sugar
1) Soak the salted fish head in water for 2 to 3 hours. This is to remove the excess salt content (you may want to change the water once). Discard the water.
2) Heat some oil in wok, add 2 slices of ginger and brown the salted fish head on both sides. Set aside.
3) Turn the heat on high and add the pork belly slices. Use the high heat to partially melt away some of the fats on the pork belly while browning it, so that the pork belly pieces remain intact during braising. When the fats start melting, add in the remaining ginger slices, dried chilies and stir-fry with the pork belly till fragrant. Add a dash of cooking wine around the edge of the wok. Add in the salted fish head and pour in sufficient water to fully cover all the ingredients, plus a cup more. Cover and bring it to boil.
4) Transfer the contents from the wok to a casserole and let it simmer on low heat for an hour and a half to two hours. In between cooking, check and add sugar to taste. At the last 30 minutes of cooking, add in the tofu puffs.
5) Leave it to rest for two to three hours before serving. To serve, warm it up again (you may even want to keep it till the next day to serve).