I love this apple tart recipe as it is bursting with all-natural apple flavour and a thin biscuit crust. The filling is moist, yet the base remains very crispy, even after leaving it in room temperature for 6 to 7 hours in our hot humid weather. I'm not sure if the tart base will stay crispy for longer hours cos it was so yummy that we finished it all within the day!
This apple tart consists of 4 layers: The thin biscuit crust at the bottom, a thin spread of almond cream, apple puree, and topped with apple slices. Preparation work is fairly simple too, especially if you have prepared the base crust a day before.
To make the Tart Base
(fits one 26cm loose-based tart pan)
200g plain flour
2 tsp caster sugar
100g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg yolk + 2 to 3 tbsp water
A pinch of salt
A little egg white
1) Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and rub in butter (using your finger tips) till it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2) Stir in the egg yolk mixture and combine to form a dough.
3) Wrap the dough in cling wrap and chill for an hour to two in fridge.
4) Roll out the dough between baking paper and cling wrap. The roll-out dough sheet should be slightly bigger than the tart pan.
5) Transfer the dough sheet to cover the tart pan. Trim the edges and chill again for another 15 mins before baking.
6) Prick the pastry base with a fork and blind-bake in a preheated oven of 180C for 20 minutes. Remove tart from the oven and brush a thin layer of egg white on the partially-baked tart shell, and bake for a further 5 minutes, uncovered. Set aside to cool.
Refer here for a pictorial illustration.
To make the Almond Cream
75g unsalted butter
75g caster sugar
85g ground blanched almonds
2 tsp plain flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1 beaten egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Cream butter and sugar lightly. Add ground almond and mix to combine.
2) Add flour and cornstarch, mix, then add beaten egg and vanilla extract. Mix well.
To make the Apple Puree
2 to 3 green apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
10g unsalted butter
Combine cut apples, sugar and water in a small pot. Cover and gently cook the mixture for about 10 minutes till soft. Stir in the vanilla extract and 10g butter. Whisk the mixture lightly to mash up the apples. Set aside.
2 to 3 green apples (peeled, cored and cut into thin slices)
15g unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp sugar
To assemble the Apple Tart
1) Spread a thin layer of almond cream evenly onto the baked tart shell.
2) Spread another thin layer of apple puree over the almond cream.
3) Arrange the apple slices in a circle around the edge. Repeat for an inner circle, this time going in the opposite direction from the outer circle. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
4) Bake the tart in a preheated oven of 175C for 35 to 40 minutes. You may want to loosely cover the top with foil at the last 10 minutes of baking.
For tart base and apple puree - adapted from "French Desserts" by Laura Washburn
For almond cream - adapted from "Baking from My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan