Thursday, May 26, 2011

Princess Barbie Doll Cake






Princess Barbie Doll Cake for my little girl

Like any other little girls, my girl loves Barbie dolls, Disney Princess, Winx Club and all things pink.  But, I have never bought her any Barbie dolls before, though occasionally, I do get her magazines or storybooks relating to Barbie or Disney Princess.  This is her very first Barbie doll for her birthday and I am presenting the Barbie doll to her in a special way - A Princess Barbie Doll Cake. 

I have been thinking of making a Barbie doll cake since early this year.  As I have never made any Barbie doll cake before, I spent many hours browsing through the internet, watching youtube videos, looking at many Barbie doll cakes and finally decided on this Barbie doll cake with a fondant-covered evening gown.

My little girl, her friends and teachers love this cake!  This cake is not just visually pleasing, the cake itself tastes good too.  It is a rich butter cake with vanilla butter cream (prepared with fresh vanilla pod) and Nutella butter cream, and covered with marshmallow fondant.  The butter cake recipe is adapted from Richard Goh's Walnut Cake recipe. 

It's both a cake and a doll for the birthday girl

Ever wondered why those 3D specialty cakes are so expensive?  Yes, it is extremely time-consuming.  It took me more than 10 hours, over 3 days to complete this Barbie doll cake.  Why 3 days?  ha... I think I'm "kiasi" lah, better plan for more than less, especially this is my first attempt.  My baking schedule as follows:

Day 1: Relax ...
  • Bake butter cakes - two 8" cakes and two 6" cakes.  I baked an 8" and 6" cakes each time (max my oven and mixer can accommodate).  Hence, two rounds of measuring ingredients, preparing, baking and cooling the cakes.  
  • After the cakes are completely cool, wrap them in cling wraps, seal in zipper storage bags and store them in the fridge.
Notes: 
i) The cakes need to be chilled to harden up, so that you can cut, fill and trim the cakes easily.  In any case, butter cakes tasted better overnight.  

ii) It is better to use butter cake or any dense cake for fondant-covered cake.  The weight of the fondant plus the multiple layers of cake may be too heavy for a sponge cake.


Day 2: Where the funs begins ...
  • Prepare the butter creams and chill in fridge.
  • Cut to level the top for each cake.  Then, cut each cake into two layers (i.e. I have 4 x 2 = 8 layers).  For each subsequent layer, I carefully trim down the inches.  So starting with a base cake of 8", followed by 7.5", then 7" and so on.  By doing so, it is easier to trim the cake into a dome shaped later.  Stack up the layers to check for a rough dome shape.
  • Many sites suggested making a hole in the cake after filling and trimming the cake (the hole is to insert the doll).  But, I thought hollowing the cake in the centre after trimming is rather risky and messy.  I have small cake rings (or those for making scones), so I stamped out circles in each layer (of course be careful to ensure the circles are aligned for each layer).
  • Spread the layers with vanilla butter cream, alternate with Nutella butter cream and stack them together.  Reserve some butter cream to cover the whole cake (for Day 3).
  • Finally, use a sharp knife and trim the cake to a dome shape.  Wrap the dome cake with cling wrap again and put back into the fridge to chill again.
  • Prepare the marshmallow fondant (wrap and store at room temp) and royal icing (store in fridge) for Day 3.
[Note: I read in some baking forum that they used pyrex bowls to achieve the dome shape.  I tried baking the cake with it, but the cake centre is uncooked :( ]



Two 8" butter cakes and two 6" butter cakes for making this barbie doll cake


Day 3:  The challenge ...

Ha... it was like the night before your major examination.  I slept very little and kept thinking of how to go about rolling the fondant and wrapping it around the Barbie doll ... 
  • To adhere the rolled fondant onto the cake, you need to cover the whole cake with a thin layer of butter cream.  Put the cake back into the fridge to chill for another 30 minutes before covering with fondant.
  • Prepare Barbie's top from a small piece of pink fondant - wrap around and trim (use a clean paint brush to apply a little water on Barbie to stick the fondant)
  • Wrap lower-part of Barbie doll with cling wrap and insert the doll into the cake.
  • Prepare the white frills - roll out white fondant and cut into thin strips.  For each strip, roll a toothpick onto the fondant to create the frills.  Starting from the bottom, stick layers of frills onto the cake (only for the front part) and work all the way up to Barbie waistline.
  • Roll out the pink fondant and wrap around the Barbie doll (except for the front) and trim away excess fondant.  
  • Roll out a smaller piece of pink fondant (create frills using toothpick) and wrap around Barbie's waist.
  • Decorate the gown with fondant and/or royal icing.
[Note: Always cover excess or unused fondant with cling wrap to prevent drying out.  If fondant becomes too dry and crack, apply a little shortening on your hands and knead the fondant before rolling out again]


Make your own Barbie Cake Box Carrier - it's easy and affordable!

The task is not completed, yet.  I need to bring the Barbie doll cake to my little girl's school for her birthday celebration.  How to transport the Barbie doll cake?  Jess of Bakericious shared with me her clever idea of using two cake boxes to DIY a Barbie doll cake carrier.  Simply overlap the base of the boxes and use the covers to form a "house" for the Barbie doll.  For my Barbie doll cake, I used two 11" boxes.  I secured the base with a metal clip on both sides and used sticky tapes to secure the "roof".


Recipe for Butter Cake
(makes one 6" and one 8" cake)

(A):
7 egg yolks (I used eggs with 55 net weigh each)
60g brown sugar
30g golden syrup

(B):
320g unsalted butter
60g brown sugar
1.5 tsp vanilla essence
Zest from an orange
320g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
120g whipping cream
50g chocolate rice

(C):
7 egg whites
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar


Method:
1) Whisk ingredients (A) till thick.  Set aside.
2) Cream butter and sugar in (B) till fluffy and add in mixture from step 1.  Add in the rest of the ingredients in (B), fold to combine and set aside.
3) Whisk ingredients (C) till stiff peak.  Mix 1/3 portion of (C) into batter from step 2.  Fold in the rest of (C) into the batter till well combined.
4) Pour batter into greased and lined 6" and 8" cake pans.  Bake in preheated oven of 160C for 50 to 60 minutes (I cover the top with foil after 25 minutes to prevent the top from over-browning).

[Cake recipe adapted from Richard Goh's Walnut Cake from 色香味精选食谱]


Vanilla Butter cream
(enough to ice the Barbie doll cake)

Personally, I prefer Swiss butter cream or Italian butter cream as they are lighter in texture.  But, they required the use of raw egg whites (which is only "partially heated"), so I use this recipe instead:

Ingredients:
200g unsalted butter 
40g salted butter (or replace with all unsalted butter and add a small pinch of salt)
120g icing sugar
1/3 vanilla bean (use the seeds only) - or replace with 1 tsp vanilla essence
80g fresh milk

Method:
1) Beat butter till smooth.  Add icing sugar gradually and beat till fluffy.
2) Continue beating and add in the milk gradually. 
3) Add vanilla bean seeds and mix well.

Notes:
i) Use immediately or cover and chill in fridge.  When remove from fridge, wait for it to soften a little and re-whip  it before use.

ii) For Nutella butter cream, I just mix a heaped tablespoon of Nutella with some vanilla butter cream.  The kids love Nutella, so this is mainly to cater to their food preference.


My thoughts:

I never thought that I could also make a Barbie doll cake.  It was just a casual thought initially, but I set my mind and go for it, as I wanted to make something special for my little girl.  Seeing the smile on my little girl's face and the happiness it brings to her little friends, it is worth all my time and effort spent on making this  cake.  Plus, I get to learn something new in the process!






73 comments:

  1. Well done! This is the prettiest barbie doll cake I ever seen. I like the gown design a lot...are you a fasion/gown designer? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly a very very beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing your beautiful birthday cookies and now the beautiful birthday cakes, You are truly amazing and should use your talents to sell your products online. BTW, your daughter is very blessed to have such a talented and loving mom. She must be very proud of you as I am sure she must be the envy of all her classmates and teachers.
    Theresa from Phoenix, Arizona, USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments! I still need to practice more barbie cakes, trying various combi to fine-tune the steps and presentation. At e same time, there're other recipes I wish to try out, Swiss rolls, sponge cake, chocolate cake .... and of course, my day-to-day home-cooked meals ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ar a genius! I have to admit this is the most beautiful barbie cake that I have seen. My gal asked for one for her coming august birthday. However, I never good in frosting and fondants. Hence, I had to pacify her for other design. She is pretty upset. Im felt so guilty. Your gal is so fortunate to have such a lovely mother. You are the greatest....
    Linda from brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Linda. I'm very happy with my first Barbie doll cake, but definitely not a genius cos I spent many hours surfing the internet for Barbie doll cakes, reading comments and youtubes for ideas and methods. And before this, I made a 2-tier fondant cake, that helps me to have a better feel on fondant. I hope to create more 3D fondant cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..... cont'd from previous:
    Don't feel guilty over a cake design. Your love for your gal is what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me your wonderful comments! Really appreciate it! You have quite an awesome blog here! Your daily dishes are making my tummy growl now! :) You did wonderful for this barbie doll cake! I can't believe it is your first fondant cake! It's so fabulous! I'm sure your daughter must be so delighted with her birthday cake..the look on her happy face must be priceless when she saw her cake!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Faithy. My girl was very happy, but she did not give me the usual "WAHHH... so nice" expression. Probably, she was feeling a little shy in front of her friends and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Fong, the barbie doll cake looks fabulous, really dun look like from 1st timer, great job and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, your cake is so awesome! can i check with you, if my cousin wants it to be a blackforest cake, would the cake be very unstable as it's tall?
    would the cake cutting turn out to be . . . messy? pls advise me. thank you!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claire, I have not tried with a blackforest cake. But I'd think that if you want it to be a blackforest cake, you may need to use a smaller barbie doll (those smaller dolls specifically for making barbie doll cake)and pipe fresh cream instead of using fondant for the dress. One, fondant is heavy and two, it takes longer time to decorate the cake, so the cream in the blackforest may melt away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you! and may i know your cake you made or how many pax? :)
    would the cake cutting be messy? they are all kids. i've no idea how the cake can be distributed. sorry for so many qn.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Claire, I trimmed the Barbie cake from two 8" cakes and 6" cakes, and is enough for about 25 children, a small slice for each. Not very messy since it's butter cakes and just a thin layer of cream between each layer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Fong. Very amazed with yo cake n all the preparation! Can't find 11" box, use 10" boxes sufficient for the height of the cake?
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jac, the box size depends on the height and the base area of your cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, sorry for multiple posts... Not familiar :P
    I will be making the cake base on yo recipe, wish e luck :)
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  18. All e best, Jac! Allow yourself plenty of time, so you won't feel panic or rush to complete it. And, enjoy e process.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, is it okay if i use fresh cream for the filling and for the outside instead of fondant, i also use fresh cream? thank you!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jane, yes you can use fresh cream between each layers and pipe the designs outside using fresh cream. In this case, you can even use sponge cake instead of using butter cakes, as fresh cream is much lighter than fondant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you! and will it like melt very fast and difficult to spread the cream between layers and get very messy?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. thank you! will it melt very fast and become very messy for preparing the cake and for transporting as fresh cream is used between layers?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jane: yes, you need to factor in transport time, especially during hot weather. To minimize melting of fresh cream, keep the cake in fridge till you are ready to deliver the cake. If your fridge is not big enough to put the whole cake in, then insert the doll only when about to go ( but be careful!). Since the cake is chilled, the fresh cream should be able to last for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, can I use sponge cake if i m using shortening or butter for icing? TQ
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi BB, I guess if you keep the butter cream light in-between layers, it should not be a problem. But of course, if there are several layers, the bottom layer may be a little more compressed than the top.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the reply :)
    Think just follow yo cake recipe safer.... Btw, can I substitute golden Syrup with honey? Ratio 1:1?
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  27. The golden syrup was given in the original recipe, not sure if honey can be used as a substitute. Since amount is not a lot, maybe you could give it a try with honey, instead of buying one whole bottle of golden syrup for just 30g.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks, Fong :)
    If I m using buttercream or shortening icing, can I keep the cake at room temperature one day b4 event?

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi BB, it's kind of risky to leave the butter cream cake at room temperature for our hot weather. This is why I placed the cake in the fridge and only remove to decorate on the day itself.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Thanks for your speedy reply :)
    But I Kiasi to decorate on the day itself leh.....
    Can I do the decoration a night before event n keep the cake in fridge?
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you're decorating using fondant, it may sweat if kept in fridge. This is what I heard from a cake instructor. So i have not tried placing fondant in fridge so far.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I never work with fondant, will just use shortening for deco. wonder should keep in fridge or room temperature the day before event. Me new in baking, cant take the stress preparing on the event day itself :P
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, I understand what you mean on the stress level. I was taking a risk at decorating on the day itself... so stress that I can't sleep well the night before... ha. If you are using buttercream for deco, you can decorate the cake in advance and keep the whole cake in the fridge. No problem at all ... just make sure you clear your fridge to make way for the Barbie doll cake.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Haha, so true! I m sleepless now....
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, Fong. Thanks so so much for the great recipe. Everyone's jaws drop while seeing the cake! The teachers actually guard the cake from kids, haha. I mean usually all children will gather together with birthday gal for celebration, that day they r asked to sit on the floor :P
    Think I shud use more icing sugar for my buttercream as it melted a bit while sitting for a while.
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow...so happy for you, BB. All the time and effort...plus sleepiness nights are all worth it, right ^_^ I have not tried another Barbie doll cake since then. I think this time I should try another barbie cake with fresh cream or buttercream design.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looking forward truly!!!
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Fong,
    I am going to try to make a princess doll cake for my daughter birthday using your beautiful design as a guide. I have one question - did you cover the whole cake with fondant first before glueing the white frills onto it? Or can i just paste the white fondant frills straight onto my buttercream cake? Your work is so beautiful and thank you for sharing your tips and work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Fong,

    Sorry......I didn't mean to be rude and forgot to sign off in my earlier message. I press the button too fast. Anyway I was the one who asked you about whether to cover the whole cake with fondant first before pasting the white fondant frills onto the cake? Can I just paste the white fondant frills directly onto the buttercream cake? thank you for sharing your tips and work of art here. Your princess doll cake really inspired me!
    Warm regards,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Elizabeth, I'm happy that you like my Barbie doll cake. I paste the white fondant frills directly onto the front portion of the cake (starting from the bottom and work all the way up to the waist level) then cover the rest with pink fondant for the gown. Hope you have a great time making the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks so much for your quick reply Fong! Really appreciate your feedback and advice. Wish me luck and I hope it will turn out as beautiful as yours ;)
    Have a very nice day and thank you very much again!
    Warm regards,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi, Fong. Any idea the weight of the. Cake?
    2 kgs? 2.5? 3kg?
    Rdgs,
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  43. Weight of Barbie cake? Din weigh it, but I guess should be around 4 to 5 kg, since I used butter cakes. Plus the butter cream fillings and fondant layer.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Dear Fong, I had never make fondant cake b4, and would like to challenge one. Bn googling n get myself confused...
    Some said chilled cake then apply buttercream, then chilled the bc cake, then apply fondant.
    Some said cake must b at room temperature b4 applying bc, then chilled the bc cake, then apply fondant
    Some said all process must b at room temperature...
    I m so so confused n didn't know which to follow... HELP!
    Rdgs,
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  45. ha... to chill or not to chill.
    Honestly, I have not done many fondant cakes to know which is the best temperature for making fondant cake. For myself:
    *I chill the cake before slicing and applying butter cream 'cos a chilled cake is easier to slice and to apply cream (just a thin layer of bc)
    *Next, I chill the cake with bc again 'cos I want the bc to be cold and not melting away when I lay the fondant over it. But, given that it is just a thin layer of bc, maybe chilling is not really necessary.
    *After the fondant is placed on, DO NOT CHILL (to be safe).

    Just make sure your cake with bc is not freezing, to prevent the fondant from sweating

    Hope this helps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks, Fong :)
    Rdgs,
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  47. Cake is so pretty. I will make one for my god daughter the end of this month. May I know where I can buy the crown for the barbie doll? Do you have any measurement for the ruffle skirts? I would be very appreciated.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Amy, the crown came together with the doll. Try looking at the toys dept for dolls accessories. I did not measure the ruffles, just made it longer at the bottom and reduce gradually as you work your way up the waist level. Have a great time making your Barbie cake

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks so much for your quick response.

    ReplyDelete
  50. tHIS IS VERY HARD TO TRANSLATE TO CUPS ETC - ANY HELP AVAILABLE - SO BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  51. you can try translating using an online baking conversion calculator, such as: http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

    Alternatively, you can use any butter cake recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  52. What does the size end up being?

    ReplyDelete
  53. I used an 11" cake board and cake box, though the cake is an 8" butter cake, since I need to give allowance for the fondant cover and space to hold onto when you carry the cake. The height depends on how many layers of cake you stacked up (taking into account the height of your doll. The whole cake weighs a few kilograms, but the exact weight depends on how dense is your butter cake, any fillings in the cake and how much fondant covering that you put on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wow! That's a beautiful cake! I'm planning on attempting one like it next week for my little sister's 8th birthday. Approximately how many kg of fondant did you use altogether on the cake? It's pretty expensive but I'm terrified of running out of it halfway through the cake! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's better to have more fondant on hand than to run out of it. I cannot remember how much fondant that I used, probably around 600g to 750g. To play safe, get ready 1 kg.

      Delete
  55. Şimdiye kadar gördüğüm en güzel barbi pasta bu çokkkkk güzel olmuş hayranlıkla baktım kutlarım

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi, can I ask if you take in orders?
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, not at the moment. Currently, I only bake for friends and family. More for leisure.

      Delete
  57. Hi your cake is beautiful, I'm going to attempt it for my nieces birthday, ive got boys so my usual cakes are more boyish, so im really looking forward to doing a girlie cake, my question to you is, marshmellow fondant ? Is it in your recipe above, or will I need to find one, also once I've found out about this marshmellow fondant do I cover the whole cake before decorateing it, you advice would be much appreciated, look forward to seeing more of your cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi ohhhhh ive just done a bit of research since I sent that last message, the marshmellow fondant is the pink on her dress, ? I was going to use suger paste, is that the same sort if thing, I imagine the marshmellow tastes better, oh im worried now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, I'm just back from holiday, hope it's not too late for my reply now. Yes, I made the fondant from marshmallow. I have not used sugar paste before, but I thought that sugar paste is for making those delicate flowers, and will harden upon drying up. The bad thing about making fondant cake is the fondant covering tends to sweat. For this Barbie doll cake, I assembled and crumb coat the cake the day before. The fondant is only put on in the morning (plus decoration) and leave it in aircon room for about an hour, then I brought the cake for the party at 3pm. But if you decorate the cake the day before, I'm not sure should you leave the cake in fridge and can it keep well in an aircon room. Somehow, our kind of hot and humid weather is not idea for fondant cake

      Delete
    2. another option is to test with a smaller cake. Cover and leave it in fridge, then bring to air con room and subsequently to room temperature. Maybe this will help to reduce the sweating of the fondant if you need to refrigerate your fondant cake

      Delete
  59. Hi do u accept order? My girl love ur princess cake. Pls email me: euqey@hotmail.com

    Hope to hear from u soon

    ReplyDelete
  60. What a lovely lovely cake! I am so impressed by your patience and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  61. mineyanalak@hotmail.deFebruary 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM

    Dear Fong's-Kitchen-Journal-team,
    I wanted to ask you, is it ok, that I use your picture?
    I shared the link to, so the people can go to your side too.
    By this I mean, that they see the owner of the picture.

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY/1401310250126311?ref=hl

    If you don't want it, please write back, and I will delete it immediately.
    I would be very happy to share your pictures and ideas!
    Oh yes, sorry for my bad english, I am german, so...
    Thanks in advance!

    DIY-Team
    Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it's my pleasure to share my picture on your FB site. Lovely and interesting DIY page that your team has created! I just LIKE your page!

      Delete
  62. Hi,
    I was very impressed and thought I could follow your recipe to make a cake for my daughter. I had a hard time with knowing exactly what golden syrup was and caster sugar as far as I can tell is powdered sugar and chocolate rice (coco Rice Krispies?). The biggest difficulty came though in converting your measurements to English vs metric...so my attempt wasn't very good. :-( I will use a regular layer cake recipe next time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...