Using tofu as the theme ingredient, this easy bee hoon soup has tofu in every bite! Soy beans for preparing the soup stock, mashed tofu wrapped in tofu puff and extra tofu cubes in the soup.
1/2 packet brown rice bee hoon (米粉) - soaked, drained water
1 tomato (cut into chunks)
Few pieces lettuce leaves
Small piece of silken tofu (cut into cubes)
Some fish slices (marinate with a pinch of salt, 1 tsp oil and dash of pepper)
Ikan bilis and soy beans (黄豆) stock - about 1 litre
For making tofu parcels:
120g minced chicken
Small piece of silken tofu (about 40g or 1/6 box) - mashed through a sieve
1 tbsp chopped spring onion
Seasoning: 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, dash of pepper, 1 -2 tsp corn flour
6 tofu puffs
Spring onion (to tie the tofu bag) - blanched in hot water till softened
Bee Hoon ($0.60) + tomato/lettuce/spring onion/stock ($1.20) + Cod fish slices ($6.00) + minced chicken ($1.00) + tofu puffs/tofu ($1.20) = $10.00
1) Combine minced chicken with mashed tofu and chopped spring onion, add seasonings and mix well. Let it chill in fridge for at least an hour to firm up.
2) Blanch or soak the tofu puffs in hot water to remove excess oil. Remove and squeeze out excess water. Let it cool completely. Make a small opening at one end and stuff it with fillings from step 1. Use a spring onion to tie a knot at the opening.
3) Bring the stock to boil, add tomato chunks and bee hoon. Next, add in the tofu parcels and tofu cubes. Add the marinated fish slices, lettuce leaves and remove from heat. Add a dash of pepper, some chopped spring onion, fried shallot and 1/2 tbsp garlic oil (from below). Serve immediately.
For extra serving of greens, I blanched some kailan in the pot of stock (before cooking the bee hoon), serve the kailan on plate and topped with garlic sauce.
Ingredients: 2/3 packet of kailan (from NTUC), 4 cloves garlic (chopped), a little stock (from above)
1) Blanch kailan in stock, remove.
2) Fry the chopped garlic with some oil till golden brown. Pour out oil, leaving 1/2 tbsp garlic oil, add some stock to it. Once the stock starts bubbling, add the fried garlic (reserved a little for garnish).
3) Add salt to taste and thicken the sauce with a little cornstarch solution. Pour sauce over kailan and garnish with remaining fried garlic.
Approximate cost: kailan ($1)
|To ensure even cooking, make a small cut at the stem|
For this healthy one-dish meal + extra greens, it costs approximately $11.00 to prepare or averaged, $3.70 per person!
I will be submitting this post to Cuisine Paradise's May $20 Budget Meal - Specific Ingredient: "Tofu/Beancurd".