This is my first baking attempt with silicone mold and my first attempt with Madeleine. I have long wanted to bake these little cakes, but never buy the bake pan for making it. So, when I saw this silicone mold during my recent trip to Hong Kong, I happily bought it at a very reasonable price of S$5!
I used the recipe from Cuisine Paradise (original source: Donna Hay's Cookbook) and adapted it to make two flavours: Chocolate Madeleine and Madeleine with Chocolate Coating.
(makes 18 small Madeleine)
75g caster sugar
50g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
60g unsalted butter, melted
(A) 1 tbsp cocoa powder
(B) 2 tsp lemon juice + 2 tsp lemon zest + 1/2 tbsp plain flour
1) Whisk eggs and caster sugar till foamy.
2) Sift flour and baking powder together and mix well into the egg mixture from step 1. Divide batter into two equal portions.
3) Add (A) cocoa powder into one portion, and ingredients in (B) to another portion. Mix well.
4) Fold in equal amount of melted butter (30g each) to each portion. Mix well.
5) Pour batter into Madeleine pan or mold till almost full.
6) Bake in preheated oven of 180C for 10 minutes or until Madeleine spring back when lightly press.
7) Transfer Madeleine to rack to cool completely. Dust the Chocolate Madeleine with icing sugar. Dip the Lemon Madeleine into melted chocolate.
|Lemon Madeleines with chocolate coating and Chocolate Madeleines|
I will be submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by Doris from Tested and Tasted.