Tonight's menu:(serves 3 to 4)
Seaweed Soup (紫菜蕃茄蛋花汤) - $1.70
Steamed Cod Fish and Tofu with Black Bean Sauce (雪鱼豆腐蒸黑豆鼓酱) - $8.30
Stir-Fry Prawns with Pea Sprouts (虾仁豆苗) - $5.00
Seaweed Soup (紫菜蕃茄蛋花汤)
1 small piece of seaweed
1 tomato (cut into thick chunks)
1 egg (beaten)
2 tbsp dried silver fish (银鱼仔), rinse and pat dry
2 slices ginger
Dried silver fish ($1.00) + seaweed/tomato/egg ($0.70) = $1.70
1) Heat a little oil in a pot. Add ginger, follow by silver fish and stir fry till fragrant. Add about 1.2 litre water and let it cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
[Note: Before step 2, keep half a rice bowl of stock for preparing the third dish - stir fry prawns with pea sprouts - see below]
2) Heat a little garlic oil in wok (see preparation of steamed fish below), turn heat on high. Stir fry the tomato chunks briefly, add into (1) and cook for another 5 minutes.
3) Add seaweed into soup and season with salt to taste. Turn heat on high and pour in the beaten egg. Turn off heat immediately and serve.
Steamed Cod Fish and Tofu with Black Bean Sauce (雪鱼豆腐蒸黑豆鼓酱)
150g cod fish fillet (cut into 1 cm thin slices)
1/2 box silky tofu (cut into 1 cm thin slices)
4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
Small piece ginger (finely shredded)
1 stalk spring onion (green portion, chopped)
1 tbsp salted black beans (黑豆鼓) - rinsed, drain off liquid
1 tsp hoisin sauce (or soy sauce to taste)
1 tbsp water
1 tsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 stalk spring onion (white portion, chopped)
Cod fish ($7.00) + Tofu ($0.40) + Sauce ingredients/garlic/ginger ($0.90) = $8.30
1) Heat about 4 tbsp oil in wok. Fry the chopped garlic till golden brown. Drain and set aside. Pour out garlic oil.
2) Combine the sauce ingredients together and stir in about 1 tbsp of hot garlic oil.
3) Arrange cod fish and tofu on plate. Pour the sauce over it, sprinkle shredded ginger and steam on high heat for about 8 minutes.
4) Garnish with chopped spring onion and golden fried garlic. Serve immediately.
Stir-Fry Prawns with Pea Sprouts (虾仁豆苗)
250g medium gray prawns (marinate briefly with a pinch of salt, pepper and dash of wine)
1 packet pea sprouts
1 tsp dried scallop floss
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Prawns ($3) + Pea sprouts ($1.50) + Scallop floss ($0.50) = $5.00
1) Heat some garlic oil (from 2nd dish above) in wok on high. Add pea sprouts, give it a few quick-stirs and add half a rice bowl of stock (from soup - see first dish above) and a pinch of salt. Once pea sprouts has softened slightly, turn off heat and serve on plate. Discard liquid in wok.
2) Heat a little oil in wok, add chopped garlic, follow by dried scallop floss. Once fragrant, add in the prawns and stir fry till cooked (about a minute). Serve prawns over pea sprouts.
I will be submitting this post to Cuisine Paradise's May $20 Budget Meal - Specific Ingredient: "Tofu/Beancurd".
For more ideas on 3-plus-1 or 2-plus-1 menus, check out the page here.