Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sun-dried Tomato & Herbs Focaccia



My house smells like a Italian kitchen!  I was baking this yesterday and my kitchen was filled with the wonderful aroma of rosemary, basil, thyme, olive oil and garlic ......




This is a relatively easy recipe to follow and uses mashed potato and bread flour for the dough.  Probably due to the present of mashed potato, the focaccia is very soft and airy.


Recipe (mainly from Janine's Not the Kitchen Sink)

Ingredients:
1 potato, about 150g (boiled or microwave till soft,  mashed)
180g bread flour
1/2 tsp dried yeast
60ml warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Herbs mixture:
2 to 3 tbsp olive oil, warm up slightly
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp salt (preferably sea salt, I just used kitchen salt)
1 heap tbsp mixed dried herbs
2 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped

Method:
1) Mash the potato, let it cool.  Set aside.
2) Dough starter - combine yeast, warm water and 50g bread flour.  Set aside for 10 minutes.
3) Combine & mix well the remaining flour, salt, mashed potato with the starter (from step 2).  Add in the olive oil and knead till a soft dough is obtained.  This dough is very wet and sticky, so I used my stand-mixer to do the kneading for about 8 minutes.
4) Round the dough and let it proof in a well-greased bowl for 60 minutes, or till doubled in size.
5) While the dough is proofing, prepare the herbs mixture by mixing all the ingredients together.  Set aside.
6) Oil your palms and deflate the dough.  Gently press and spread the dough thinly (about 1 cm thick) on a well-greased pan (I used a pizza pan).
7) Spread the herbs mixture evenly over the dough (I have leftover herbs mixture) and dimple the dough with your fingertips.  Let the dough proof for another 40 to 50 minutes (I left it in the oven to proof).
8) Remove the dough from the oven.  Preheat the oven to 220C and bake the focaccia for 15 to 20 minutes till golden brown.  Cover the focaccia with a foil, half way into baking to prevent over-browning on top.
9) Remove and cool on rack.




3 comments:

  1. ooh you tried the focaccia :) Your crumb looks really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Focaccia too. Did you buy the sun-dried tomato or you made some? I dont know how to prepare sun-dried tomato..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine: yeah, thanks for sharing this recipe!

    Sonia: I bought the sun-dried tomato. I love the richness it adds to a dish. Have no idea how to make it too ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...