Friday, April 8, 2011

I Can't Believe it's PRATA!





A quick & easy snack using frozen prata as the pastry base

How should I describe this recipe?  Perhaps, in four words: Place, Sprinkle, Fold ..... Bake! 

That's exactly what I did with a leftover A plus a leftover B.  I used some leftover sausages and leek fillings from my earlier sausage, bacon and egg pie (ok, not exactly "leftover", but rather reserved) with two last pieces of my frozen prata in the fridge, sprinkled some shredded cheese, fold and bake.  Yes, it's that quick & easy!   


Place 2 tbsp fillings on the prata sheet, sprinkle shredded cheese, fold to seal the edges and
bake at 200C for about 12 to 15 minutes, or till golden brown.

Frozen prata sheets are very convenient for making quick snacks like this.  Instead of sausage and leek fillings, you can have curry chicken & potato or tuna flakes with onion.  You can also make it into a sweet dessert by adding sliced banana w/chocolate sauce.  How about a little East meet West fusion - sticky rice cake prata puffs! The best thing about these prata sheets is they come in individual round disc (separate by plastic wraps), all ready to wrap and roll.  

To make: preheat your oven to 200C, remove the frozen prata from the freezer, wait for about 5 minutes (for the prata to soften a little, else too hard to roll).  Use this 5 minutes to gather your ingredients or fillings.  Then, add your fillings, fold and pinch the edges together (they stick very well), brush a little milk or beaten egg on the surface and bake.  A freshly baked sausage, leek & cheese puff will be ready in 15 minutes' time!

I will be sharing this recipe with Aspiring Bakers #6: Say Cheese! (April 2011), hosts by  Jean of Need More Noms.  








7 comments:

  1. I love to use frozen prata for my fast pastry snack too but usually I just fold it over to get a curry puff shape. You given me a new idea on folding! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so creative and lovely! (: look yummy too! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a creative idea! i m heading to get some frozen prata to try :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea...so simple and yet so tasty...would love to get a hold of one right now :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wen: me too, I always fold the curry puff shape. Then, I saw this triangular fold while browsing cook books and thought it looks great.

    Sweety, Juliana: Thanks! indeed a yummy snack.

    Sonia: yup, I always keep wastage to a minimal.

    Love melody: yeah, do try it and let me know how you find it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I simply love your creation. I tried this recipe this morning and it's so crispy and yummy.
    I used tomato tuna with mix veg.

    Thank you for sharing with us. Hope to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...