Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Floating Islands in Hot Plum Sauce







I was browsing through cook books at Borders and was drawn to this low-calories, guilt-free dessert recipe.  The name sounds so interesting and creative; and I knew I must try this at home.  Plus, I have two egg whites in the freezer (after making my duckie cookies) and some red plums (my original intention was to make plum crumble with vanilla custard sauce).     

This is a relatively easy dessert to prepare with few ingredients:  2 cups apple juice, 4 to 5 plums, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp sugar.  You need to pit the plums, cut into halves or quarters and cook with apple juice till soft.  While cooking the plums, whisk the egg whites with sugar till stiff peak.  Then, add tablespoons of meringue (beaten egg whites) to the plum mixture, cover and let it simmer for a few minutes till the meringues are set.  So easy right?

Now, the taste test:  IT WAS AWFUL!  The plum sauce tastes like some cough syrup mixture.  Somehow, the apple juice did not go very well with the plum.  It reminded me of the red-coloured bottled soft drink, Sinaco, which I never like.  I'm not sure if this is how the dessert should taste, but I would rather pile on a few more calories and go for the plum crumble anytime.    

I'm going to try this again.  I saw another version at Tartelette, where she used pureed strawberries as the base.  I'm very sure this will taste much better than some cough mixture.  Now, any fresh strawberries on sale?





2 comments:

  1. the interesting name caught my attention and it look lovely (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks sweety! if only this dessert tastes as good as it looks :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...