Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Duckie Treat (Cookies)








My girl's preschool organised an outing to watch the show "An Ugly Duckling".  The children were all very excited and thrilled.  My girl even reminded me over and over again (nth times!) that she must be in school ON TIME to catch the school bus for the show.  Her excitement motivated me to make something for her and her classmates, preferably something that is related to the show.  And so, my duckie treat.

My first royal icing decoration was last year's Christmas cookies, where I merely outlined the cookies with thick royal icing.  I was afraid to flood the entire cookie with thin icing for two reasons - 1) Dec weather was very wet (bad for setting the royal icing) and our high humidity just make it worst.  2) Will the cookie be too sweet after icing and will it be soggy?  Then recently, I chanced upon this sweet & lovely blog, Sweetopia, where you will find lots of wonderful ideas & detailed instructions on cookies decoration.  Inspired by her cookie and sugar arts, I gave this a try and I am so glad that I did!  The cookie tastes yummy and not overly sweet (even with the royal icing on it).  While the cookie may not be as crispy as those without royal icing, it  was not soggy at all.  


100% hand-made with love




For cookie dough, I used the same recipe as my Valentine's cookies, Love You Beary Much, except to multiply the portion by 1.5 times to make about 45 cookies:

Cookie dough
(makes about 45 cookies)

330g butter

150g caster sugar
1.5 egg yolk
1.5 tsp vanilla essence
450g plain flour
90g corn flour

Method:

1) Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
2) Add egg yolk and vanilla essence, beat for another two minutes.
3) Sift plain flour and corn flour together.  Add into butter mixture and mix well to form a dough
4) Divide dough into 3 portions, each cover with clingwrap and rest dough in fridge for an hour.
5) Dust your worktop and rolling pin with plain flour (I dust flour on baking paper and roll the dough on the paper).  Roll the dough to around 2 to 3mm thick.
6) Rest the dough sheet back in fridge for 15 minutes.
7) Cut cookies using a 2.5" round cutter and place them on baking tray, lined with baking paper.
8) Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 15 to 20 minutes.


Royal icing:

8 tsp meringue powder
8 tbsp water (approx 120ml)
600g icing sugar
5 tsp lemon juice
Icing colouring gel
water (to further dilute to desired consistency)

[I used about 2/3 of the royal icing for the cookies].

Method:
1) Whisk meringue powder and water till soft peak.
2) Add icing sugar in batches and whisk till stiff peak (need to scrape the sides for even whisking).
3) Pour in the lemon juice and whisk to combine.
4) Divide the icing into various portions and add your choice of colouring gel.  Add a little water at a time to thin the icing to the consistency that you need (cover the icing with clingwrap to prevent it from drying out if you are not using immediately).





8 comments:

  1. I have an award for you. Check this out:
    http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i love the way you packaged the individual cookies. If I were a little kid receiving your cookies, I'd be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathy.
    SSB - thanks for e award.
    Janine - yeah, e kids were crowding around me to thank me for e cookies. I felt like a mother duck then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hihi! Juz drop by to tell u the ducklings are so cute! Are the ducklings made from royal icing too? I m so envious of ur gal and her classmates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Love, thanks for dropping by. Yes, the ducklings are made from royal icing. I pipe e outline of the ducklings first, then flood with a more diluted royal icing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ducklings are done very nicely and consistent. Did you do it free hand or with a stencil?? Hope I can do it when my boy is in school.

    Where do you buy meringue powder??

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cynthia, I copied a duck picture from internet, resized n printed it on A4 paper. Then, lightly greased a clean transparency with shortening and place it over the paper. Pipe the outline of the duck on the transparency and flood with icing. Leave to dry overnight. Once thoroughly dried, you can easily slide the icing duck off the transparency. But do make more icing pieces than you need as it breaks easily.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...