This is one of my all-time favorite dishes. Simple home-cooked food with a variety of vegetables in an appetising tomato sauce. Highly versatile - you can mix and match your own "8 treasures" and have it with rice, noodles or even turn this into yummy pizza for breakfast or snacks! If you find the prices of food going sky-rocket high, this dish will certainly not burn a hole in your pocket.
|Tomatoes, celery, carrot, potato, pineapple, luncheon meat, onion, button mushroom (not in pic)|
Cook a little more of this dish and save a portion of it to make yummy pizza for breakfast! You can either buy ready-made pizza dough or make it yourself (pizza dough is much easier to handle than bread dough). You can refer here for recipe & instructions for making a basic pizza dough. Alternatively, you can also use sandwich bread or baguette loaf as the base.
Using pizza dough: Place pizza on lightly-greased pan. Add fillings and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven of 220C for around 12 minutes till light golden brown.
Using sandwiches/baguette (sliced in half): Add fillings on bread/baguette, sprinkle cheese and toast in oven-toaster till cheese melts.
Garnish with some shredded cucumber for colour and texture.
All cut into cubes: 1 tomato, 1 carrot, 1 potato, 1 slice of pineapple, 1 onion, 1 small can luncheon meat, 2 stalks of celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
1.5 to 2 cups water (or more if you like to have more gravy)
Cornstarch solution (2 tsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water)
1) Boil the carrot and celery till soft. Drain and set aside.
2) Shallow fried the potato till light brown. Set aside.
3) Heat a little oil in wok on high heat. Add onion, stir to separate the onion pieces. Add luncheon meat to brown it lightly. Add garlic, stir.
4) Add button mushroom and tomatoes, stir to release aroma.
5) Add the carrot, celery, pineapple, potato and stir well to combine ingredients.
6) Pour in the sauce and stir. When the mixture starts to boil, lower to medium heat and let it simmer for 3 to 5 minutes for all the flavours to come together.
7) Add the cornstarch solution to thicken the sauce.
8) Add a dash of pepper before serving.