I love porridge. I can have porridge for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper! If I'm out for the whole day and like to come home to a simple home-cooked meal, porridge is one of my top choices. This porridge base was cooked in a slow-cooker for about 8 to 9 hours, transferred to a clay pot, bring it to boil and then fish slices was added and cooked for less than a minute.
Similarly, you can set the slow-cooker to cook at night and wake up to a nice pot of porridge the next morning ^_^
3/4 cup rice
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 handful small dried scallops (or 3 medium-sized dried scallops)
2 slices ginger
Approx 1.5 litre water
Approx 250g batang fish (sliced thinly)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 to 2 tbsp water
1) Wash and drain the rice. Season it with salt and cooking oil for about 30 minutes.
2) Bring a pot of water to boil and add seasoned rice, dried scallops, ginger. Bring it to boil again and adjust to low heat and simmer for 2 hours (stove cooking). If using slow-cooker, transfer content to slow-cooker and set on auto-mode.
3) Marinate the fish slices with salt, oil and water. Cover and keep chill in fridge.
4) Just before serving, turn up heat on high (if cooked in slow-cooker, transfer back to pot). Once the porridge starts bubbling, add the sliced fish, give it a few stir and turn off heat immediately (this takes less than a minute).
5) For breakfast, serves this with a nice crispy dough stick (油条).