Attended a cartoon transfer cake lesson this afternoon at Phoon Huat. This is a hands-on cake decorating class, where we bake the sponge and then do the cartoon transfer onto the sponge.
How do you create the cartoon design? Actually, the concept is very simple:
1) Choose a cartoon design you like and print it on a piece of paper.
2) Roll out a thin sheet of marzipan (such that you can see the outline of your cartoon design when you place the marzipan over the paper).
3) Using melted chocolate or royal icing, pipe the outline of the cartoon design on the marzipan and let it dry.
4) Trim the marzipan and carefully transfer the design outline onto your sponge cake (already covered with fresh cream).
5) Prepare your coloured piping gel and pipe the coloured gel onto the design.
Now, why do I have this chicken design on my cake? Not that I love to eat KFC so much. I would have love to pipe a Thomas train, Mickey Mouse or Hello Kitty on my cake. The reason - there were only a few miserable designs that we can choose for our cake. Maybe it has to do with copyrights law?
I am giving this cake to my girl's class for their tea-time treat. And since they were born in the Year of the Rooster, I guess this chicken design is not a bad idea after all!