|Preparing a delicious meal of baked pork chop rice at home|
This is a classic Cantonese, western-style dish that I love to order when I go to one of those Hong Kong tea-house restaurants. Baked rice dishes are generally quite expensive here and some restaurants served tiny portion. But if you prepare this at home, it costs only a fraction of the price you paid outside (minus the heavily-laden MSG).
I prepared a simple vegetable soup to go with this baked rice dish for a more balanced-diet:
3 pieces pork loin (butterfly cut, gently pound on both sides with the back of a chopper)
Marinates for pork:
1 to 2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp mirin
1/2 tbsp cooking wine
1 tbsp water
onion, celery, carrot, tomato (1 each, chopped)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small piece of fermented red bean curd* (mashed)
2 to 3 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and pepper to taste
(* optional, I added for personal preference)
Cooked rice (enough for 3 persons)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp custard powder + 1 tbsp corn flour + 1/2 tsp curry powder (mix together)
Handful of shredded mozzarella cheese
1) Marinate the pork, cover and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours.
2) Heat up the pan over medium heat. Add a little oil and stir fry the chopped onion and garlic till aromatic. Add in the chopped celery, carrot and cook till slightly soften. Add the mashed fermented red bean curd and stir till fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree.
3) Add about 1.5 cups of water and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
4) Add about half a beaten egg to the marinated pork chops, then lightly dust the pork chop with the flour mixture. Shake off excess flour and leave it for 3 minutes (wait time is for the flour to stick on the pork and does not fall off during pan-frying).
5) Heat some oil in pan over moderately-high heat. Pan-fry the pork on both sides till golden brown. Set aside to drain excess oil on kitchen paper and cut into big chunks.
6) Drain off oil from pan (and wipe clean with kitchen paper).
7) Heat oil in pan over high heat (going to prepare a simple fried rice). Add remaining beaten eggs, then followed with the cooked rice. Quickly toss or stir the rice till well-combined with the eggs. Turn off heat and mix in 1/3 of the sauce (step 3). Pour the rice mixture into a lightly oiled oven-dish.
8) Arrange pork chop (step 5) on rice and pour the remaining sauce over the pork chop. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in oven at 180C for 12 to 15 minutes, till cheese melts and turn golden brown.
Sweet & sour pork chop with potato
Cut a potato into thick strips or wedges - deep-fried. Prepare the sauce and toss in the pan-fried pork-chop and fried potato, thickened with corn starch solution.