I love these spicy cucumber! Healthy, tasty and easy to prepare. Chill them in fridge for 2 to 3 hours before serving. They are sure to whet your appetite, especially on hot and humid days.
2 Japanese cucumber (thinly sliced)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped spring onion
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1/2 chili, thinly sliced
1 tsp Korean hot paste
1 tbsp black vinegar (浙醋）
1 tbsp shallot oil
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp 扁鱼粉* (or ikan bilis seasoning powder)
Dash of pepper
* Fry the 扁鱼, cool and grind into powder. Add to soups, meatballs etc. I usually make about half a small bottle and use it over a month. Store in fridge.
2 tbsp black & white sesame seeds (toasted)
1) Marinate cucumber by mixing ingredients (A) together for 30 minutes.
2) Squeeze out excess liquid in cucumber.
3) Mix cucumber with ingredients (B), cover and chill in fridge for around 2 hours for cucumbers to absorb the flavours.
4) Mix some toasted sesame seeds with the cucumber just before serving. Garnish with a little more sesame seeds on top.